Newbie.. Chick hatches now what?

twink90

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2015
Missouri
i have an incubator going. Lockdown starts tomorrow & Sunday is day 21.
I'm getting my warm broader ready with heat light. Couple questions....

What's best bedding?
Medicated feed for how long?
Should I use the electrolytes chick savor?
How long do you keep inside in the brooder?

I'm just so nervous to hatch out my first chicks!!

Middle eggs are 1st ones to hatch. Crossing fingers!

For the newborn's put in a Heat Lamp then put them on a cloth in a big box made out of wood until they can walk, then remove the towel and put shavings on the bottom of the box. Make sure they have water and food, they can eat mashed up chicken food when their really little, then switch to normal. Once and a while change out the food, baby's drink A LOT so keep an eye on the water container. I would switch to a nipple water bucket after they grow up and you put them with the big chickens. (Doing that can be a long process if you're new to it.)

Make a box out of wood and make a screen top. For the first few days until they can stay awake longer, put a cloth on the bottom of the box. Make sure they have enough water, and food, and change it out daily. Mashed Chicken Food is good for about a week and a half, then do half and half, then when the week is over, change to normal food. Make sure you show them were the water and food is when they first come into the box, or when they are first awake. When they get their poofy feathers and are.t practically sleeping all day, then take the towel away and put wood shavings in. I can answer any other question you ask me :].

Yes the middle ones are my chickens. Then I was given some Silky, Cochins & EE eggs on top. The last week I was given Ameraucaunas & Cinnamon Queens. They is a metal bowl with water in middle for humidity. I won't turn middle eggs after tonight for the 3 day lock down. I've tried researching but it never hurts to get more tips from the people who have done this.
Will an aquarium with a screen lid & heat light work for a brooder? I have medicated chick starter, do I just add some water to make mush? See I never heard that before.
Thanks so much

The problem is, since your sets of eggs are days apart, even if your first set is on lockdown, are you going to decide to stop turning the other sets of eggs? Do you have a separate hatcher or are you going to hatch them all in the same incubator? Each time you open the incubator to turn the other set of eggs, your humidity and temperature will drop, which is not ideal for a lockdown.

I am still going to open & turn other eggs 3 times a day. The middle eggs are over the water for extra humidity.
Yes I am new at hatching eggs but have done my research. I know mom still gets up to eat, drink & do her business the last 3 days before eggs hatch.
I didn't plan to stagger chicks but the people with eggs couldn't get them all at once. This is a learning experience for me. As of right now after Candeling I have 3 different live stages of baby chicks. We shall see what happens as we approach hatching.
If I fail, yes it will suck!!!
But.... If I can pull this off its a game changer.
I will keep you posted

Never said it was impossible to do, just difficult since you're new at it. There are other concerns too like brooding the different age chicks too if you don't have other brooders available, but I wish you luck on your first hatch.

Back
Top Bottom