Newbie from nw Indiana

I have a bantam cochin and im 10 years old and I hold him all the time and hill put his head on your shoulder its cute

hi im a lovely cochin
D.gif

I'm looking to get a RIR and a barred rock to start. Are these docile and family friendly? I have 2 young kids that will be handling them so I'm looking for some docile birds...
I have both breeds and with kids, I'd go with the Barred Rock. The RIRs will slightly outlay them, but they are sometimes aggressive (especially the roosters). I have had a couple of aggressive Barred Rocks in 50 years of raising chickens, but they are normally a very docile breed, and those two were definitely the exception, not the rule. Some other breeds you might want to consider that are extremely friendly and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets out of them), and very good layers too are Black Australorps (excellent layers), Buff Orpingtons, Cochins, Sussex, and Brahmas.

Hi,
Where in NWIndiana are you? Trying to find more local chicken enthusiasts.
I have two Barred Rocks and two Buff Orpingtons that I raised from chicks, born May 12th.

Hi, I'm in crown point. So far things are going well with my 2. Now I want more next spring. I built a cheap pallet/ wire coup for now and the girls
Are loving it. I hope to get eggs in the next month or so... I'm currently working on Winterizing and heating the coup for winter, were gonna get another bad winter from what I'm hearing so I'm trying to prepare for the worst.

Back
Top Bottom