Newbie here!

mgroce

Hatching
May 23, 2016
Hello, everyone! My name is Monica and I am a new chicken mommy thanks to my daughter's Ag class hatching the babies about April 20th. We took 2 of them and another mom gave us 2 that her daughter brought home. I have wanted chickens for a long time and I finally got them. I just don't know what kind they are or what sex they are. They were sexted before we received them but I was told at the feed store by some young women that work there that that may not exactly be true as people have different ways of finding out what sex they actually are. I was told we had one pullet and one cockerel. The 2 that another parent brought us yesterday are supposed to be pullets. Any idea what may be the truth? My daughter's Ag teacher said that the cockerels mature slower and their tail feathers aren't as developed as the pullets of the same age. Is this true? I will add pictures of the group. The 2 on the top were the original ones we were given. The bottom 2 are the ones we received yesterday. The brown & white one is supposed to be the cockerel. He had a blue spot in his head when we brought them home. Any and all HELP and input is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Here they are when we brought them home.

Here they are as of yesterday. The 2 in the top of the picture are the ones in the picture above.

Last edited:
The 2 at the bottom of last photo may be pullets - and the upper two can't see any part of their combs so ??? You can wait a couple more weeks and post new photos at "what breed or gender is this."

welcome-byc.gif
- great to have you onboard and congrats on your new flock.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
CT

Thanks so much! I am pretty excited about them! I've wanted chickens for so long and now we are starting our flock!

Back
Top Bottom