Newbie in many ways!

Just Italian for Poultry Math...I'll bet you knew that already. I hear that the Italian strain of Poultry Math is really bad this year too. Personally I think they need a couple of Pea Fowl. The blue and purple are pretty but I am partial to the solid white. Maybe a swan couple as well...in black.
I just hope it doesn't get over here we have it bad enough, but you know how it is when people travel from one part of the world to another. Next we'll have to be in quarantine to keep it from spreading. This new strain sounds bad.
lol.png

And no I did not know that. I told you I only speak Southern English and that ain't so good.

I just hope it doesn't get over here we have it bad enough, but you know how it is when people travel from one part of the world to another. Next we'll have to be in quarantine to keep it from spreading. This new strain sounds bad.
lol.png

And no I did not know that. I told you I only speak Southern English and that ain't so good.
Not to feel bad. Without Google Translate I could not speak Italian either. In fact I have to look up a lot of words in English and that is my native tongue. Like you I do pretty well with Southern Drawl and through in a Y'all now and then.

Just Italian for Poultry Math...I'll bet you knew that already. I hear that the Italian strain of Poultry Math is really bad this year too. Personally I think they need a couple of Pea Fowl. The blue and purple are pretty but I am partial to the solid white. Maybe a swan couple as well...in black.
Have you seen harlequin? Stunning. Ands greens are really something else, but they seem to be hard to find.

lol.png

lol.png
But I speak Southern English, and I certainly dont speak it like you! And I speak Brazilian Portuguese, and that doesn´t sound a great deal like the Portuguese Portuguese, if you see what I mean.... but the bird math all adds up the same!
wink.png
1 + 1 = 20. See? Whatever language.
tongue.png

Have you seen harlequin? Stunning. Ands greens are really something else, but they seem to be hard to find.
Purely Poultry has the green for 600.00 and Legg's has a Pied Green for 1500.00 both out of my league. There is a lady in town here that has a Pied White that is stunning beyond belief. I often just drive by and stop to watch it when I go into town for something. She is a really sweet lady but she keep a gun by the door to protect that bird.

Swans!? Pea fowl?! Whoa steady on! :) you both make it sound like so much fun!! We're really enjoying having the geese here although they're hardly filling their roll as guard dogs. Will try a lettuce, could be a good way of getting into the routine of going in at night, after putting the sawdust in last night (which works great by the way) they were incredibly suspicious and would NOT go in, took us ages to round them up. :-D

Purely Poultry has the green for 600.00 and Legg's has a Pied Green for 1500.00 both out of my league. There is a lady in town here that has a Pied White that is stunning beyond belief. I often just drive by and stop to watch it when I go into town for something. She is a really sweet lady but she keep a gun by the door to protect that bird.
I used to have some peacocks here, but as they call at night my neighbours complained, so for the sake of peace (more with the neighbours, the peacocks didn´t call much), I sold them. Beautiful birds.
Swans!? Pea fowl?! Whoa steady on! :) you both make it sound like so much fun!! We're really enjoying having the geese here although they're hardly filling their roll as guard dogs. Will try a lettuce, could be a good way of getting into the routine of going in at night, after putting the sawdust in last night (which works great by the way) they were incredibly suspicious and would NOT go in, took us ages to round them up. :-D
Geese don´t like anything new, but they´ll get used to it all. You´ll get it sorted.

You will find that geese are VERY suspicious of even the least little change in their environment. Just the act of changing the bedding (I use straw) in my goose house causes them to hesitate and hiss when I put them in at night. After the first night though it is right back to their normal routine. That is part of what will make them good guards. They are more of an alarm system then a guard because they will honk at anything out of the routine. Mine honk at strange birds flying over which is good because sometimes those birds have turned out to be hawks headed for my chickens and because of the geese I am able to drive them away. So remember, the goose alarm system only works if you respond to it even if just to look out a window to see what they are honking about.

So...we tried lettuce a couple of days ago hoping that if they like it then we could use it to lure them into their house of an evening, i'm not sure what to make of the outcome, they appeared to love it, we threw small pieces of it to them and they ate it without a second thought and ran for other bits that we threw to them, I couldn't quite believe how keen they were, the Gander then started hissing at us, he's never done this before and it seemed a bit weird, do they his if excited? or is he getting angry because we're not feeding him quickly enough? confused!!

We couldn't lure them into their house with it though, they still don't like the sawdust I think after three days they still don't want to go in at night and had to resort to using poles to guide them but it took some effort again, we put some lettuce in with them overnight but it was still there this morning only adding to the confusion.

So...we tried lettuce a couple of days ago hoping that if they like it then we could use it to lure them into their house of an evening, i'm not sure what to make of the outcome, they appeared to love it, we threw small pieces of it to them and they ate it without a second thought and ran for other bits that we threw to them, I couldn't quite believe how keen they were, the Gander then started hissing at us, he's never done this before and it seemed a bit weird, do they his if excited? or is he getting angry because we're not feeding him quickly enough? confused!!

We couldn't lure them into their house with it though, they still don't like the sawdust I think after three days they still don't want to go in at night and had to resort to using poles to guide them but it took some effort again, we put some lettuce in with them overnight but it was still there this morning only adding to the confusion.
Just my thoughts, but I never use sawdust or wood shavings with mine. Could you put cheap plastic flooring in there? easy to wash out, and they´d probably prefer it. As I say, just my thoughts.
I knew they´d like the lettuce, though.

Back
Top Bottom