Newbie needing help

Kimmeetee

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2023
🙀 Hi! I helped raise a few chickens when I was a kid...now that I'm retired, I thought I'd try my hand at it once again. We live in central PA and have a couple acres. I'd like to do free range but lots of predators up here. I need some help on affordable insulation (mostly for summer heat but water freezes in winter) no electricity in the shed/coup. Looking at the foil wrap but confused as to if that will help keep heat out in winter. Just got my 1st 2 in August, Gold laced Orpingtons. Supposed to be pullets but think one may be a rooster now. I got 3 more, 1 German Bielefelder cockrel, 1 Gold Laced Orpingtion pullet and 1 Black Mottled Orpington...TBD....but they thought it was a pullet. The hatchery has since gone out of business so I can't trade with him any longer. I'm trying to find somewhere local to trade a cockrel or possibly 2 for a couple pullets. So if anyone knows a source near central PA message me!

Attachments

• 20231211_100322.jpg
    20231211_100322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • 20231123_102644.jpg
    20231123_102644.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 10
Hiya, and welcome to BYC!! :frow You may want to ask in your Pennsylvania thread here as someone there may be able to help you find chicks/chickens.

As for managing coops in the winter, without electricity, we have it but those who don't make sure to keep coops draft-free, dry, vented high or away from chickens, bedding to insulate the floor, like pine chips, pine pellets, deep litter, etc. and a trick is to have two waterers so when you go to the coop you are bringing a fresh one and taking the frozen one back with you.

There are oodles threads and articles about winterizing your coop on here, just use the search function. Good luck!

1st 2 in August, Gold laced Orpingtons. Supposed to be pullets but think one may be a rooster now.
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry.. all of the birds in the first pic are sporting male specific pointy saddle feathers.. except the Bielefelder.. who's I can't see but his feather pattern/color confirms his gender. :hmm

Hello, and welcome to BYC.
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry.. all of the birds in the first pic are sporting male specific pointy saddle feathers.. except the Bielefelder.. who's I can't see but his feather pattern/color confirms his gender. :hmm
Sadly, I agree that all of the birds pictured appear to be cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom