Newbie needing to know what I have here please!!

HELPPLS

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 7, 2014
We have 10 chicks total. I'm praying we have all pullets except for one. I don't know if it is too soon to tell. I wanted just one male and the only ones that were listed as straight run were the americaunas which I know aren't true but I was hoping for a male and a female in that for the blue eggs. I have no idea what the white ones are (but they are skiddish and mean) and the single brown and white one. I think the 2 gold ones are buff orpingtons and they are soooooooooooooooo sweet. The black ones are suppose to be black austrolorp pullets. I think one of those is a roo. Can I get some advice and opinions from you guys, though. This is our first batch of chicks. I don't want to have to kill any of them if we have too many roos so I'm nervous. Also, which ones may lay blue eggs? Thanks so much.

I didn't see if you mentioned age, but from the looks I'm guessing maybe 6 weeks? The one black one you have in questions is most likely a roo. I see a large comb and wattles. If at this point you are see any red/pink combs, they are probably roos. That's the hard thing with getting straight run, mostly likely you'll get roos. The ones with green legs, will lay green or blue eggs. The one with the muffs, next to the roo in the top pic.

I didn't see if you mentioned age, but from the looks I'm guessing maybe 6 weeks? The one black one you have in questions is most likely a roo. I see a large comb and wattles. If at this point you are see any red/pink combs, they are probably roos. That's the hard thing with getting straight run, mostly likely you'll get roos. The ones with green legs, will lay green or blue eggs. The one with the muffs, next to the roo in the top pic.
Not true, sorry. Leg color and egg color have no genetic link. Birds with pea combs have a 95-97% chance of having the blue egg gene. They often do have muffs/beards and dark or green legs, but that's not a sure thing.

Your little black straight combed bird looks to be a rooster, and I'm getting a roo vibe from the black and white Easter egger next to it. Better pics of that bird alone, a profile shot and comb shot, would help.

So at what age do I know for absolute sure? Do I have to wait 4 months and see which ones lay eggs to know? Also, what does everyone else do with extra roos? Eat them or what? Thanks for your help. We got them April 11th so, yes, they are 5 to 6 weeks old.

I only see one cockerel and that's the black one with the red comb. It's too soon to say with certainty that all the rest are pullets but if they aren't growing a red comb by 8 weeks, it's very likely they are female. Crowing/egg laying are the most certain tells but no cockerel signs well past the expected age for them is pretty darned sure.

Extra males can certainly be processed for meat. Some folks give them away or sell them at swaps. Whatever you do, please don't be one of those folks who drives them "out to the country" and dumps them. There is always a more humane option.

Last edited:
I agree, that the black one is a cockerel. As far as green legs and muff/beards=colored eggs, that is not true. You know for sure when they leg an egg. I think that the black and white one may be a cockerel as well.

I agree, that the black one is a cockerel. As far as green legs and muff/beards=colored eggs, that is not true. You know for sure when they leg an egg. I think that the black and white one may be a cockerel as well.

Yes, I see what you mean -- blown up, I see the comb has some color on that one. A picture of the black and white one in profile without other chickens in front of it would be helpful. White blotches mid wing = male, evenly patterned wings = female.

Not true, sorry. Leg color and egg color have no genetic link. Birds with pea combs have a 95-97% chance of having the blue egg gene. They often do have muffs/beards and dark or green legs, but that's not a sure thing.

Your little black straight combed bird looks to be a rooster, and I'm getting a roo vibe from the black and white Easter egger next to it. Better pics of that bird alone, a profile shot and comb shot, would help.
All I was trying to do is help her identify the chicks that probably would, she asked. I see a chick in the pic that is most likely an EE or Aurcana and I'm assuming it has green legs? All my EE's have green legs and lay green eggs, that's all I was saying. I've raised a lot of birds and know that there is a chance they may not.

Last edited:
Thank you all so very much. Just since yesterday the black and white EE/Americauna/Arucauna or whatever it is, has an even redder comb. I can't stand when people dump animals off. We live in an area where people think is the perfect spot to dump off dogs. We have a few rescued dogs on the hill and many, many we had to bring to the dog pound. We are animal poor around here! I appreciate any and all advice. I understand not every chicken fits the proverbial mold of their breed. I was also wondering if I happen to have a male and female EE and they breed, will I get babies that also lay blue eggs or is that what they mean by they don't breed true? It doesn't matter a whole lot. I just think blue eggs would be cool. Everyone around me thinks I'm nuts. They think I'm too overprotective and they have the "its just chickens" attitude. I'm making them a tire swing and everyone just shakes their heads at me. I try to keep them dry and warm and happy. I'm so glad I have this website to go to. Thanks so much for everyone's help. I certainly have none here. I might would start believing them if it wasn't for some of you. Thank you, thank you!

Bless you for what you do for these animals! I am an animal lover and it's really hard for me not to take in every stray. Most of your EE's will lay a green egg, which is kinda cool too in my opinion. To be technical, yes not all of them will lay a green egg, just a pink to brown shade. If your looking for a blue egg, I would look for a Auracana Breeder, that's going to be your best bet. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom