Newbie Pigeon Help

In true fashion for our farm, my mother sent me a link to an ad for someone selling out of their pigeons. Having wanted pigeons for so long, and it being a good deal, I decided to call and I mean... there's no point in driving an hour to pick up just a few, right? So I purchased the remaining sixteen plus one baby.

Anyway, so I'm heading up to pick up this flock of Old Dutch Capuchines tomorrow. I'm beyond excited! We have an old barn and someone used to raise pigeons in it over sixty years ago, but the loft is still relatively intact. We just have to clean it out since it was being used for storage and put the door back on.
However, this is on the second story of our barn, so there's no outdoor area coming off of it. Is this a problem? We don't have a hawk or predatory bird problem, so could I open the door and just let them fly out as they please during the day? Or keep them in the loft 24/7?

What do you feed? I believe Family Farm & Home has pigeon feed, but I don't know how healthy it is... And then do the parents need anything special for the squab? I believe the owner said he was born the 19th.

Thank you for all and any help. I'm off to bed now because I have to get up super early to prepare for these birds. And did I mention we're also visiting a rabbit show tomorrow? :lau
I really like that you took the whole flock, better for the birds imo. Since I am an older person, some of my birds may out live me or my ability to care for them and so I am conscious of the need to provide for their care after that time. I hope to set aside a small 'trust fund' and name a guardian to effect this. I would be happy for them to find a good home like you are giving these Capuchins.:highfive:

Back
Top Bottom