Newbie question about coop size

Zach66

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Hello! My family and I live in Gilbert, AZ and are starting our first experience with chickens. I have 2 main questions for the group regarding the coup I currently have. First, some brackground...I was originally planning on having 4 in our yard, to start with a small flock and not planning on going too much bigger, if at all, in the future. We have a pretty good size yard, backyard is about 1/4 acre of grass. The yard is fenced in with a block wall and we have a lot of trees and shade.

So we made the plunge and got 2 chicks about 2 weeks old last week and added 4 more chicks on Friday. All 4 we added had just come in that day and were 1 or 2 days old. My original plan was to get 6 assuming at least 1 would end up a rooster (which we will give away) and 1 may not make it. Unfortunately, we lost 3 of the 4 baby chicks over the weekend. This was tough on all of us especially because we were new. We have the broader set up with a heat light and measured temperatures inside, did all the proper setup as far as we know. My wife was hesitant to try more but I went back on Monday, asked some questions and confirmed we were doing things right, and got 4 more. Why I got 4 I'm not really sure. As I researched the breeds I got more excited about each one so I figured maybe 7 would give us better odds. Here is what we have right now:

Ameraucana - 2.5 weeks old
Speckled Sussex - 2.5 weeks old
(2) Buff Orpingtons - 5 days old
(2) Russion Orloffs - 5 days old
(1) Blue Wyandott - 5 days old

Here is a photo. Yes, I am putting them all in a larger broader tomorrow as the 2.5 week girls are getting cramped.

temp.jpg

Ok, so on to my questions...thanks for hanging in there.

(1) So I had bought a coup and run about 3 years ago at Tractor Supply on sale. It is advertised for up to 6. My plan is to let the girls free range during the day and coup them at night. Our yard is fenced in by block wall. I'm not sure if we really need a coup but thought we'd give them a good place for shelter. Below are some photos of the coup. It obviously is not very large and I'm concerned that it will be too small. Like I said, the original plan was to have 4 but what if all 7 make it and are all hens!? The coup is about 5' x 3' and about 3.5' tall. I have a run that I was going to attach as extra space that is another 4'x3'. What are your thoughts about this coup? Is it just too small, even for 5 or 6 say? It has 3 nesting boxes as shown. I'm looking for advice here. I am handy and could build one, but I have 3 kids and don't have very much time.

(2) Question #2 is...I get flood irrigation where we live. Basically, the yard floods to about 4 inches deep in the entire backyard every 2 weeks in the summer (instead of sprinklers). The coup wire and bottom frame would get pretty much destroyed by it so I have 2 options. (1) I can build a raised area of dirt and have the coup floor still be dirt, or (2) I could build a wood floor (either for this coup or a new one I built) and support the coup on short would columns. The idea is the coup floor and frame would be protected from the flood water. Based on your experience, is it better to have a wood floor or a natural (dirt) floor?

Thanks to everyone in advance. We are very excited to watch them grow up and give them a good home!
temp6.jpg

temp2.jpg

temp3.jpg
temp5.jpg

temp4.jpg

Ok, so first off- congrats on catching the chicken bug and so sorry about losing your littles...it doesn't get easier unfortunately.
Second you're going to hear about "square footage per chicken." Ideally the more space the better (chickens can be a bit violent in close spaces) I like 4-6' per bird, but "they" say 2-3' is ok. #BiggerIsBetter :D
If you are able to free range during the day-safely- you may be ok especially if those are outside roosts I saw and if you attach the other run. As far as safety, that block wall will be a game changer as far as big predators, but the pine tree I see near your coop is like a Zipline for racoons/possums...any of the climbers. And then there's hawks or whatever birds of prey are in your area.
As far as your irrigation, I'd do the same thing as your yard wall. Make a small (1-2 courses high) block wall and sit your coop & run(s) on it. You should be able to attach to your top course with some bracing to keep the coop on. It would be fairly predator proof and ok with the regular flooding.
Bottom line is you know your area and your schedule and predators. If you know you'll be able to free range as much as possible, your setup should be ok. If you'll be around for your free range time to ward off any overhead threats, you should be ok.
Good luck, and you'll absolutely fall for your Speckled Sussex...they are my favorite hands down for personality. If your blue Wyandottes are blue laced reds, well you're lucky :cool:

Last edited:
My worry is that you are from Arizona.

If where you live is as hot as I think it is, the chickens will most likely cook in that tiny coop.

For hot climates I highly recommend something like this: (picture snagged from a shed builder in Australia)

cedarpet-ranch2_1.jpg

In the shed above there is a sheltered back out of rain, wind, storms and sun. (The back is where the perches and nest boxes would be) In the front is full ventilation and a breeze. If you make sure that the wire used is strong enough to keep out predators then you are golden!

Also, three of those breeds that you have have tiny combs. With the small comb of the Ameraucana, Wyandotte, and Orloff they will have a harder time radiating off extra heat. Combs help to radi6off extra heat which is why most breeds from hot climates have huge combs. You might need to spend a bit more time investing in some kinds of cooling to help them in the summer. Some hot weather people use bird safe fans, misting systems that turn on during the hottest part of the day, and ice cubes in the water pans.

As to the flooding... how long does the flood last?

If it is 1 day of flood every 2 weeks the birds might enjoy the chance to cool off, and might only need some elevated outdoor areas to stay out of the wet.

I do think the suggestion by WVcreekfarm sounds great. I would however suggest covering blocks that you use as foundation in hardware cloth since those blocks will be a great house for rodents and snakes.

The prefab coops NEVER hold even close to the advertised number of birds.
The coop and run are too small. Period.
It is going to get hot in your climate. The birds will need space and shelter from the heat extremes.
I would start designing something larger.

AMEN!!! ::said the atheist::

Purchased coops are a BIG mistake. Not only are they FAR too small, they're made from materials that won't hold up for any time at all. A rat or a coyote or even a neighborhood dog could get into those lightweight structures and kill everything before you could hear the mayhem and respond.

In a hot climate like AZ :: said the SoCal girl:: you need broad overhang or shade cloth awnings that will shield the birds from the sun. I get 80% shadecloth and then double it. I have that on 2 sides of my coop & run despite the fact that it's located under good shade. Still, when the sun can get into the run, it's heating it up. I'd say the shadecloth brings the ambient temperature down at least 10˚ in the Summer and that can be the difference between life and death. When you see them holding their wings away from their bodies and panting to breathe you know they're depending on you to make it tolerable.

When you install shadecloth, do it like an awning extending the roof line out and creating shade. Don't drape it down the sides of the run. You want the sides open so the air will flow through.

You need large windows for ventilation. And you need an electric supply because you're probably going to need box fans in the Summer (on the worst triple-digit days I have box fans running over blocks of ice). Don't forget closures that will take carabiner clips to keep raccoons from getting to your hens or their eggs. And, do it right and dig your hardware cloth enclosure 12-18" into the ground OR spread an apron of hardware cloth or heavy pavement 12" out from the enclosure.

That's a lot, but if you aren't going to take care of your chickens outside in the elements get a parakeet that can live in a cage inside.

I have 7 chickens and they live in a coop that's at least 4x that size and a run that's probably 6-8X as large. Or more. And if I had more space I'd make it even bigger but it's in an area limited by a chainlink fence.

Last edited:
Hello! My family and I live in Gilbert, AZ and are starting our first experience with chickens. I have 2 main questions for the group regarding the coup I currently have. First, some brackground...I was originally planning on having 4 in our yard, to start with a small flock and not planning on going too much bigger, if at all, in the future. We have a pretty good size yard, backyard is about 1/4 acre of grass. The yard is fenced in with a block wall and we have a lot of trees and shade.

So we made the plunge and got 2 chicks about 2 weeks old last week and added 4 more chicks on Friday. All 4 we added had just come in that day and were 1 or 2 days old. My original plan was to get 6 assuming at least 1 would end up a rooster (which we will give away) and 1 may not make it. Unfortunately, we lost 3 of the 4 baby chicks over the weekend. This was tough on all of us especially because we were new. We have the broader set up with a heat light and measured temperatures inside, did all the proper setup as far as we know. My wife was hesitant to try more but I went back on Monday, asked some questions and confirmed we were doing things right, and got 4 more. Why I got 4 I'm not really sure. As I researched the breeds I got more excited about each one so I figured maybe 7 would give us better odds. Here is what we have right now:

Ameraucana - 2.5 weeks old
Speckled Sussex - 2.5 weeks old
(2) Buff Orpingtons - 5 days old
(2) Russion Orloffs - 5 days old
(1) Blue Wyandott - 5 days old

Here is a photo. Yes, I am putting them all in a larger broader tomorrow as the 2.5 week girls are getting cramped.

View attachment 1657588
Ok, so on to my questions...thanks for hanging in there.

(1) So I had bought a coup and run about 3 years ago at Tractor Supply on sale. It is advertised for up to 6. My plan is to let the girls free range during the day and coup them at night. Our yard is fenced in by block wall. I'm not sure if we really need a coup but thought we'd give them a good place for shelter. Below are some photos of the coup. It obviously is not very large and I'm concerned that it will be too small. Like I said, the original plan was to have 4 but what if all 7 make it and are all hens!? The coup is about 5' x 3' and about 3.5' tall. I have a run that I was going to attach as extra space that is another 4'x3'. What are your thoughts about this coup? Is it just too small, even for 5 or 6 say? It has 3 nesting boxes as shown. I'm looking for advice here. I am handy and could build one, but I have 3 kids and don't have very much time.

(2) Question #2 is...I get flood irrigation where we live. Basically, the yard floods to about 4 inches deep in the entire backyard every 2 weeks in the summer (instead of sprinklers). The coup wire and bottom frame would get pretty much destroyed by it so I have 2 options. (1) I can build a raised area of dirt and have the coup floor still be dirt, or (2) I could build a wood floor (either for this coup or a new one I built) and support the coup on short would columns. The idea is the coup floor and frame would be protected from the flood water. Based on your experience, is it better to have a wood floor or a natural (dirt) floor?

Thanks to everyone in advance. We are very excited to watch them grow up and give them a good home!
View attachment 1657593

View attachment 1657589

View attachment 1657590View attachment 1657592

View attachment 1657591

Just exactly the same as mine except mine is red. I have 4 chickens and I wouldn't put any more in there. I didn't have any problems with it this past summer. I free range in the summer but only when I am sitting right there watching my chickens. I put them back in the run when I go inside. I only had 2 in the summer time. It's made it through the tough winter we are having here in Maine. I'd certainly have bigger mostly because I want more chickens.

I am warm weather and there is nothing worse (well, sure there is LOTS worse...) than watching your lovely chickens overheat and having to scramble to find ways to cool them down before you lose them. It is also hot at night and the generate lots of heat. My first coop is pretty darn open. Second is waaaay open. I can always add to and I can always staple bags to the frame if we have a big wind or downpour that I can quickly remove also. Even my nesting box has a wall I can lift for the summers. Best solution I have found yet for cooling my chickens is running water under a shady tree, maybe even tossing frozen veggies but I am getting ahead of things. Being you will need such an open coop you can save time and money and spend it on the roof and 1/2 " welded wire. Being you already have the chicken math (lol) make it bigger than you think you should. They loooove all the room you can give them, especially in the heat. Good luck and keep us posted!!! 075.jpg 008.jpg

I agree with most the others above, not only is the coop too small for 7 but in a hot climate good ventilation and sun protection is important. The coops posted in above posts are good examples of very open, airy coops that can also provide some shade if you orient them correctly.

As far as the flooding, I would probably try elevating the coop. My coop is elevated about 6" since we get a lot of rain, the base sits on pressure treated skids which sit on concrete blocks.

Back
Top Bottom