Newbie question about pasting up

birdy_num_nums

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Got my 12 little chickies last night and they are doing great! (I thought I was getting 15, it was 12) But a few have a bit of pasting up starting this morning. I've taken a soft, wet cloth and wiped their little hineys off- is that all I'm supposed to do, just keep an eye on them and keep wiping? All of them seem gloriously happy, temperature is spot on, they are all eating and drinking well, so I don't think they are stressed. But then I wonder why the few are pasting up? Just stress from their wild ride yesterday (shipping to me)?

Thank you for any advice!!

This may not be a popular answer, but someone told me when I first started and it has almost elimated the problem.

Remember, chicks are chickens and not pets... When you see pasty bottom do not gently dab with a paper towel, you will be doing that every day for weeks! Instead get rid of the problem... Take the dried on little bits of poo and just pull it (and the attached feathers) out your chicks may sqwack a little when you do it, but in addition to removing the poo you are removing the feathers future poo can stick to. So instead of bugging them every day, you do it once... Still check them, but I've never had re-pasting issues since I implemented my "no mercy" policy a year ago...

(really it does not seem to bother them much.)

The stress of the trip is likely the culprit...

Back
Top Bottom