Newbie questions about the first few weeks of a chick

SaltyOldDog

Chirping
Mar 31, 2021
I'm going to ask a series of questions in this post having to do with the first bunch of weeks of raising chicks. These questions come up due to conflicting information from a variety of sources of my research and talking with the "Chicken Expert" at Tractor Supply (aka TSCE) .

As I stated in my introduction post I have Blue Maran chicks that are now roughly 1 week old.

First question is more of a terminology question. Is there a term for a dominant chick. I noticed on particular chick that seems very much in charge to the point of her telling me off when I checked her for "pasty butt" last night. The rest except her lieutenant were fine about the process but Miss Bossy and her lieutenant used fowl language on me. :p

Next is a matter of feeding with two sub-questions.
My son caught a small beetle the other night (about 3/8" in length) and tossed it with the chicks. The ensuing violence was somewhat amusing to watch as this docile acting chick turned into a velocoraptor beating the poor hapless beetle mercilessly before eating it.

My wife (AKA Chicken Momma) raised the issue that the chicks might be too young for such fare and I thought that if meal worms work fine for the young-uns the beetle should be fine.

Then I read the Flock Party packaging (again) and noticed they recommend waiting until the chicks are two weeks old before introducing Flock Party treats the the chicks. So between TSCE and Flock Party's instructions we have a small mismatch.

So which is right?

My other question has to do grit or not and oyster shell or not.

Up front I like the concept of oyster shells based on some material I read a couple of years ago published by a New Jersey chicken owner's club. The enumerated health benefits for using oyster shells making them superior to straight up grit. Again the package says to hold off until 14 weeks of age. TSCE says it is OK for chicks this young.

Again another disparity that I want to reconcile.

Do you give the young chicks grit instead or is that later on in their development?

Still on the subject of feeding I watched a video from Stony Ridge Farm on You Tube and mentioned was a viewer's question "Is it true you can give your chickens moldy people food?" His answer "sure you can!!" Is that the case or is my reservation about doing that valid. I'm sure you don't want to give your chicks that sort of thing.

My last question is about beneficial plants/herbs/vegetables you can give your chicks or grown hens. I saw a list once but have lost the list. Anybody know?

First question is more of a terminology question. Is there a term for a dominant chick. I noticed on particular chick that seems very much in charge to the point of her telling me off when I checked her for "pasty butt" last night. The rest except her lieutenant were fine about the process but Miss Bossy and her lieutenant used fowl language on me.
I don't think there is an official term for dominant chick.

My son caught a small beetle the other night (about 3/8" in length) and tossed it with the chicks. The ensuing violence was somewhat amusing to watch as this docile acting chick turned into a velocoraptor beating the poor hapless beetle mercilessly before eating it.

My wife (AKA Chicken Momma) raised the issue that the chicks might be too young for such fare and I thought that if meal worms work fine for the young-uns the beetle should be fine.

Then I read the Flock Party packaging (again) and noticed they recommend waiting until the chicks are two weeks old before introducing Flock Party treats the the chicks. So between TSCE and Flock Party's instructions we have a small mismatch.
You can start feeding them treats only if they have chick grit available. Without grit, they will be unable to digest anything other than chick feed. It is typically recommended to wait until the chicks are two weeks or older to start feeding them treats, though I don't see why you couldn't start sooner. After all, chicks raised by broody hens will start foraging with their mother as soon as they can all walk.

Up front I like the concept of oyster shells based on some material I read a couple of years ago published by a New Jersey chicken owner's club. The enumerated health benefits for using oyster shells making them superior to straight up grit. Again the package says to hold off until 14 weeks of age. TSCE says it is OK for chicks this young.
Oyster shell is not a type of grit and should never be fed to chicks. Oyster shell is fed to laying hens for calcium to strengthen their egg shells, not to help them digest food. Chicks can't process the calcium effectively and it can give them kidney damage.

Do you give the young chicks grit instead or is that later on in their development?
They can have grit at a young age. Just make sure to rock pieces are very tiny (or purchase special chick grit).

Still on the subject of feeding I watched a video from Stony Ridge Farm on You Tube and mentioned was a viewer's question "Is it true you can give your chickens moldy people food?" His answer "sure you can!!" Is that the case or is my reservation about doing that valid. I'm sure you don't want to give your chicks that sort of thing.
Most moldy food is fine to be fed to chickens, but some types of mold are toxic. I don't feed mine moldy food because I don't like the risk of feeding them something toxic, but that is purely a personal choice.

Hope I could effectively answer some of your questions. Best of luck with your first chicks! :)

You're probably going to get different replies because everyone does things differently.
First question is more of a terminology question. Is there a term for a dominant chick.
"Dominant chick" sounds appropriate.

So which is right?

I give my chicks chick grit from the very start, so they can easily digest bugs, bedding, etc... basically anything that's not their feed that they ingest.

Oyster shell is for calcium for active layers and should not be fed to chicks. It is NOT a replacement for non soluble grit (rocks). As I have different aged birds I do have oyster shell available and I don't stop the chicks from sampling it, but they shouldn't want to eat it after trying it.

I wouldn't, but some folks do feed moldy food to their chickens. I also don't feed them "people food" but some folks dump all their leftovers in with the chickens, so that's up to you.

My last question is about beneficial plants/herbs/vegetables you can give your chicks or grown hens. I saw a list once but have lost the list. Anybody know?

I give my chickens left over vegetables. There are some to be careful of like certain types of beans. Some beans are toxic raw and need to be cooked first. Green potatoes and more.
Google "what not to feed poultry" or other type similar wording and you will come up with your answers.
There is also a search function in BYC which may have similar post and answer your questions about what to feed and not.
Rosemarie had a good answer on mold, some people feed it and others do not. If I had some moldy cheese I would cut most the mold off and feed it. If it was real bad with mold, slimy nasty I would throw it. Chickens do have a short digestive system I have read and seen posted here which helps them from food poisoning. Feeding moldy food is something you need decide for yourself.

I'm going to ask a series of questions in this post having to do with the first bunch of weeks of raising chicks. These questions come up due to conflicting information from a variety of sources of my research and talking with the "Chicken Expert" at Tractor Supply (aka TSCE) .

As I stated in my introduction post I have Blue Maran chicks that are now roughly 1 week old.

First question is more of a terminology question. Is there a term for a dominant chick. I noticed on particular chick that seems very much in charge to the point of her telling me off when I checked her for "pasty butt" last night. The rest except her lieutenant were fine about the process but Miss Bossy and her lieutenant used fowl language on me. :p

So which is right?

Hey i only can awnser a few that i know, i also have a thread if you have other questions i can reply to. Beneficial herbs are some grass and dandelions. *Wait til their older for that though* Dandelions if im correct, help with some digestion. (Thing i found online that i copied and pasted — Dandelions act as a natural blood detoxifier and natural diuretic, and regular feeding is thought to help control internal parasites in your flock. They stimulate the digestive system as well, so they are a wonderful addition to your flock's diet to improve their intestinal health.) I beileve you shouldnt give grit at a young age, it is harder for them to sleep in my opinion, if you put it in the brooder of course, but id say at week 4-7 would be a good time to add it. Also do NOT give chicks moldy food! Its pretty bad fir them and can give them a fatigue effect. Sorry fi im wrong on some

Back
Top Bottom