Newbie questions:ducklings arriving next week, still shopping for feed

Quote:
I hope not. Mine are 5 1/2 weeks, and they have no problem with Purina Flock raiser which is 20% protein. I wouldn't worry about it. (Oh, and I was worried with such high amounts of protein they would get angel wing, but their wings are coming in so perfect!
love.gif
)

Being new to this, everything gets confusing. Learning how to best care for these feathered creatures is almost a full time job!

I was wondering about the protein level since it's addressed in Dave Holderread's book.

Sigh.

Everyone is different as to what and how they feed their ducks. I feed the starter (20%) for 2 to 3 weeks then I move to the grower (16%). If I keep them and once they are older they go in with the big ducks, they eat the same as them which is the layer pellets. I like to get my protein down so I dont have the chance of angel wing in my ducklings. But as I said, each to their own.

Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles
Protein 20%
Fat 3.5%
Calcium .8-1.3%
good for their first 2 weeks

Purina Mills Start and Grow Sunfresh
Protein 18%
Fat 3%
Calcium .75-1.25%
also ok for their first 2 weeks

Purina Layena Sunfresh Crumbles
Protein 16%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 3.25-4.25%
layer not needed until they are close to laying eggs, not good when they are below 3 months of age so much calcium for babies

Purina Game Bird Chow
Protein 20%
Fat 2.5%
Calcium 2.5-3.5%
to high in calcium

Ware Milling Poultry Feed Layer Pellets
Protein 16%
Fat 3%
Calcium 2.6-3.2%
again not until they lay eggs

Again try to find grower/developer feed. They should have it. Otherwise get flock raiser and mix oats into it to reduce the protein to 16%.

Poult Pak is what you usually find at the feed store as a supplement. I use this product
https://www.gqfmfg.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=231

Last edited:
Im like gofasterstripe 20% first 2-3 weeks ( make sure there is niacin in it) and 16% grower after that.. and then when the females are of laying age I just put down bowls of oyster shell and they will eat what they need... simple. I also use electroyltes in the water once a month ... I didnt really know about it when they were ducklings , but someone said to use it for the first 10 days and every 2-3 weeks til 3 months old , then once a month !!

Back
Top Bottom