Newbie to Incubation

So I test ran my incubator all day. The temp held steady at 100.9, and with no water the humidity level was between 39% and 42%. Is this good @AmyLynn2374 for my eggs I am going to start next week?
With it being a still air, the temp needs to be a tad higher at 101-102 taken at the top of the eggs. The humidity looks great. Just remember once you get your eggs in there it will throw everything off at first. Once you get the eggs in there give it a few hours before you adjust it.

My first set of eggs came in today!!!! I ordered 6 but Kingdom Hills Farm sent me 8. All were perfect, no cracks or splits in shells. All the air cells still look attached! Right now they are resting, and I can't wait to get them in tonight. I shared the pictures on the yo georgians forum.

Last edited:
My first time hatching was with an older LG fan model bator and I had a great hatch rate. Prior to that, I had never even really been around a chicken. These were my first chicks and I decided to hatch them out myself. I borrowed a bator and away I went. I bought some fertile eating eggs from a farmers market and 8 out of 9 of the ones that made it to lockdown hatched. I also had eggs from another source that got about a 50% rate, so I think it was more the source since my others did so well.

For me I think the key was research, research, RESEARCH. I made sure to locate the bator properly and use an accurate thermometer and hrGRometer (a hydrometer is a totally different thing). With a cheaper bator it's closer monitoring but you also have to resist the urge to mess with the thermostat because that leads to temp swings and spikes.

You can read a lot of discouraging things about LG bators but I think they can be used successfully if a person just does the reading beforehand.

My first set of eggs came in today!!!! I ordered 6 but Kingdom Hills Farm sent me 8. All were perfect, no cracks or splits in shells. All the air cells still look attached! Right now they are resting, and I can't wait to get them in tonight. I shared the pictures on the yo georgians forum.
clap.gif
Good luck!!

My first time hatching was with an older LG fan model bator and I had a great hatch rate. Prior to that, I had never even really been around a chicken. These were my first chicks and I decided to hatch them out myself. I borrowed a bator and away I went. I bought some fertile eating eggs from a farmers market and 8 out of 9 of the ones that made it to lockdown hatched. I also had eggs from another source that got about a 50% rate, so I think it was more the source since my others did so well.

For me I think the key was research, research, RESEARCH. I made sure to locate the bator properly and use an accurate thermometer and hrGRometer (a hydrometer is a totally different thing). With a cheaper bator it's closer monitoring but you also have to resist the urge to mess with the thermostat because that leads to temp swings and spikes.

You can read a lot of discouraging things about LG bators but I think they can be used successfully if a person just does the reading beforehand.
Alot of problems that first time hatchers have using theses bators is they rely on the instruction manual to tell them how to hatch and that is the WORST thing that can be done. Those are misleading and often wrong! Research and UNDERSTANDING (especially in the area of humidity) is important. Having an idea of what you are doing before you buy the incubator, before you buy eggs is a must. I cringe when I see a new hatcher buying expensive eggs for their first hatch. Not that you can't have a successful first hatch, but I think it's chancy and better to try your first hatch with some local cheap eggs first and work the kinks out.

I am considering getting into the incubator game soon. I was considering the Brinsea 24 with an automatic turner, because I wanted to get something "idiot proof" until I get comfortable with it. Any thoughts on that model?

I am considering getting into the incubator game soon. I was considering the Brinsea 24 with an automatic turner, because I wanted to get something "idiot proof" until I get comfortable with it. Any thoughts on that model?
If you have the money to buy one, and plan on doing a lot of hatching, then you can't go wrong with the Brinsea. I have a 20 Advance and absolutely love it

Back
Top Bottom