Newbie trying to build a coop......need feedback please

trkrueger1

In the Brooder
May 7, 2018
This is my first time to post and I'm excited to be a part of this community. I have completely jump into the big deep end of raising chickens. I currently have 10 baby chicks in a brooder in my house. We have decided to build our own chicken coop in the backyard. It is going to be 6 feet by 8 feet with 6 feet tall in the front and five feet in the back. Here are my plans for the coop. We do live in North Texas where it gets really hot so I've tried to include venting and also covers for Windows to decrease sunlight heating up the inside of the coop. The last page you see posted are my ideas. I need to put something down in the chicken run area to help with mud control in to cover up some different uneven ground. I'm thinking of buying massive bulk mulch from the recycling place in the city. Inside the coop I'm going to do pine larger shavings and then I am building a poop box that I will use pdz. Any feedback or suggestions I really appreciate it. I have spent probably at least 20 hours looking at Coop's and designing this one. Thanks

Ive learned that ( with my coop) no bedding on the ground saves slot of effort and money! Unless you are making a floor of the coop and want to protect it. Mine it just on dirt. But every once in a while I take it out and sprinkle some hay along the floor but nothing much. I use perches and close the roosts at night to keep them out gf the roosts because they like to pick a couple and ruin them with mounds of poop ( which makes eggs not fun to collect )

I do not see your coop plans but living in Texas, you do not need or want a 4 walled coop. Leave at a minimum the front open. Enclose it in hardware cloth to maximize air flow. Your birds will not use the coop because it will get ridiculously hot. Any shade you can add to the coop and run will be beneficial. Building under a tree, shade cloth across the run, extra roof overhang, open on 3 sides are all things to add into the design. Heat kills chickens.
You do not need windows either. Cover the opening with hardware cloth to maximize air flow.

Last edited:
Mulch should work fine and will help with mud issues. Ideally you want to age it but it might already be aged while it's sitting around awaiting pick up. If you are interested in compost for your garden, mix in some dried leaves, grass, garden trimmings, and your chickens will make great compost for you.

This is my first time to post and I'm excited to be a part of this community. I have completely jump into the big deep end of raising chickens. I currently have 10 baby chicks in a brooder in my house. We have decided to build our own chicken coop in the backyard. It is going to be 6 feet by 8 feet with 6 feet tall in the front and five feet in the back. Here are my plans for the coop. We do live in North Texas where it gets really hot so I've tried to include venting and also covers for Windows to decrease sunlight heating up the inside of the coop. The last page you see posted are my ideas. I need to put something down in the chicken run area to help with mud control in to cover up some different uneven ground. I'm thinking of buying massive bulk mulch from the recycling place in the city. Inside the coop I'm going to do pine larger shavings and then I am building a poop box that I will use pdz. Any feedback or suggestions I really appreciate it. I have spent probably at least 20 hours looking at Coop's and designing this one. Thanks
:celebrate :welcome

I do not see your coop plans but living in Texas, you do not need or want a 4 walled coop. Leave at a minimum the front open. Enclose it in hardware cloth to maximize air flow. Your birds will not use the coop because it will get ridiculously hot. Any shade you can add to the coop and run will be beneficial. Building under a tree, shade cloth across the run, extra roof overhang, open on 3 sides are all things to add into the design. Heat kills chickens.
You do not need windows either. Cover the opening with hardware cloth to maximize air flow.
yes!

Back
Top Bottom