Newbie with molting question

halsteadhens

Hatching
Sep 6, 2015
Minnesota
Hi! New member here. I have 31 hens and 2 Roos (ages 5 mos-18 mos), most of which are in a coop together. 10 of my girls started their first molt. Should I move them to a separate coop from my 5-month-olds so I can up their protein without the younger ones eating it all?

Hi! New member here. I have 31 hens and 2 Roos (ages 5 mos-18 mos), most of which are in a coop together. 10 of my girls started their first molt. Should I move them to a separate coop from my 5-month-olds so I can up their protein without the younger ones eating it all?

There is no reason that the rest of the flock cannot safely consume the increased protein you wish to offer your molting birds. I would not separate them as there are more potential issues to be seen when the time comes to re-integrate and because creating twice the number of flocks, even temporarily, creates twice the work in caring for them. The protein increase that is beneficial during molt is not *that* much of an increase and does not reach a level that would be inadvisable for non-molting birds.

There is no reason that the rest of the flock cannot safely consume the increased protein you wish to offer your molting birds.  I would not separate them as there are more potential issues to be seen when the time comes to re-integrate and because creating twice the number of flocks, even temporarily, creates twice the work in caring for them.  The protein increase that is beneficial during molt is not *that* much of an increase and does not reach a level that would be inadvisable for non-molting birds.
Ok, thank you Ol Grey Mare!

Looks like Ol Grey Mare gave you some good advice so I just wanted to say, "Welcome to the BYC flock! We are very glad you decided to join us!"

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi, welcome to BYC!

It sounds like you are going to have a lot of feathers flying! What breed(s) of chickens do you have?

I hope you're enjoying your flock. It's nice to have you here!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! I'm new at molting chickens but they should be fine eating the extra protein and it will probably help they're future molt too.

Back
Top Bottom