SunneeSideUp

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
I only have 4 chickens. They are just now starting to lay. A Buff, black sex link, silver laced and Isa Brown. I’ve been getting one egg a day for about 5 days. I know it’s the buff because we’ve see. Her lay it. I got a second egg today! Not sure which of the other 3 laid it. Sometimes the eggs are spotty or have a few discolored (either lighter or darker) spots on them. I’m guessing it’s normal for a first eggs? Is it possibly blood or just dirt? I try to clean coop weekly. I’ve been getting the lighter ones all week which are the Buff and the dark one came today. Some of them look pink lol.
IMG_0239.jpeg
IMG_0240.jpeg

Sometimes the eggs are spotty or have a few discolored (either lighter or darker) spots on them. I’m guessing it’s normal for a first eggs? Is it possibly blood or just dirt?
I don't see blood or dirt. I see speckles, which are simply pigment and even desired among many keepers since they're pretty, and some scratches on the bloom. Nothing unusual.

Sometimes the eggs are spotty or have a few discolored (either lighter or darker) spots on them. I’m guessing it’s normal for a first eggs?
Speckles are sometimes more common with new layers, or they could always have them, and they can differ from day to day.
'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.

Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

Back
Top Bottom