Newbies!

No I actually got them from a breeder that stopped with his Africans to breed white Chinese so I was interested.
He had them since they were goslings and they came from England.
Apparently they were 5 years when I bought them and I have them for nearly 8 years

Sorry LRH97 for highjacking this thread you made :,)
Oh, no problem! I enjoy reading about other people's operations. I've already got next spring's chicks ordered. They're due to arrive in March. Now, I'm trying to get my hands on a couple of Dewlap Toulouse goslings. I think a pair of them will complete my goose "collection."
lol.png
Or I may sell a few ducks and get a few more geese after that. I do love my ducks, but I'm pretty biased when it comes to geese. =)

Oh, no problem! I enjoy reading about other people's operations. I've already got next spring's chicks ordered. They're due to arrive in March. Now, I'm trying to get my hands on a couple of Dewlap Toulouse goslings. I think a pair of them will complete my goose "collection." :lol:  Or I may sell a few ducks and get a few more geese after that. I do love my ducks, but I'm pretty biased when it comes to geese. =)

I'm trying to get two buff dewlaps and all three of the a buff, blue, and lavender American geese!!

UPDATE:

As soon as I was satisfied that Loretta would use her box routinely, I removed all the eggs from her box. I went out of town for a couple of days and left my dad in charge of all the birds. I evidently forgot to tell him to check Loretta's box for eggs and I came home to find her anchored down on three eggs. I removed those eggs and set them inside so we could make omelettes out of them. Loretta would keep going back to her nest to sit on nothing. I fought and fought her, pushed her off every day for about a week. She was bound and determined to be a mother. So, me being the weakling that I am, obliged. Even though it is against my better judgement being colder (it's not too bad now, though), I placed the three eggs back under her (luckily we hadn't eaten them yet). We're now about a week in and I just candled them (at 2:00 in the morning, so I could get close to the nest without Conway having a conniption fit). They're coming along nicely. Really, the only reason that I am going to allow her to brood is because I don't think this is her first go around being a parent. By the way her and Conway both act, I think they'll make exceptional parents and will look after the kids well. Just means I'll have to pay extra careful attention to the babies once they hatch to prevent any chills. Call me a softie I guess.
hmm.png

UPDATE:

As soon as I was satisfied that Loretta would use her box routinely, I removed all the eggs from her box. I went out of town for a couple of days and left my dad in charge of all the birds. I evidently forgot to tell him to check Loretta's box for eggs and I came home to find her anchored down on three eggs. I removed those eggs and set them inside so we could make omelettes out of them. Loretta would keep going back to her nest to sit on nothing. I fought and fought her, pushed her off every day for about a week. She was bound and determined to be a mother. So, me being the weakling that I am, obliged. Even though it is against my better judgement being colder (it's not too bad now, though), I placed the three eggs back under her (luckily we hadn't eaten them yet). We're now about a week in and I just candled them (at 2:00 in the morning, so I could get close to the nest without Conway having a conniption fit). They're coming along nicely. Really, the only reason that I am going to allow her to brood is because I don't think this is her first go around being a parent. By the way her and Conway both act, I think they'll make exceptional parents and will look after the kids well. Just means I'll have to pay extra careful attention to the babies once they hatch to prevent any chills. Call me a softie I guess.
hmm.png
Softie, softie, softie. lol I think you sound very much like your going to be on top of anything that happens. Keep us updated and lets hope the weather stays above normal..

UPDATE:

Went outside today and noticed Conway not inside his house. He's been sleeping inside during the night and spending the day foraging with the other two geese and chickens, occasionally checking up on Loretta. Tonight I found him on guard outside Loretta's nesting box. I come closer and he lets out his most impressive hiss. (I have found that Conway is a pretty big bluffer.) Then I heard cheeping. Don't know how many I have out of the three eggs that she is on, but I will hopefully find out tomorrow. Even though I think Conway's bark is worse than his bite, I'm not going to put a goose's parental instincts to the test too much. Even though inevitably I am going to have to check up on mom and babies whether he likes it or not.
big_smile.png

UPDATE:

Went outside today and noticed Conway not inside his house. He's been sleeping inside during the night and spending the day foraging with the other two geese and chickens, occasionally checking up on Loretta. Tonight I found him on guard outside Loretta's nesting box. I come closer and he lets out his most impressive hiss. (I have found that Conway is a pretty big bluffer.) Then I heard cheeping. Don't know how many I have out of the three eggs that she is on, but I will hopefully find out tomorrow. Even though I think Conway's bark is worse than his bite, I'm not going to put a goose's parental instincts to the test too much. Even though inevitably I am going to have to check up on mom and babies whether he likes it or not.
big_smile.png
How exciting, Hope you get a peek and let us know. Congrats!!

Back
Top Bottom