Newborn baby goat- need help!

Cjz515

In the Brooder
Dec 26, 2021
Hi! We have two Pygmy goats, had them for 4.5 years. On Christmas Eve, we went out to find a newborn baby. We had absolutely no idea she was pregnant. It’s supposed to be getting cold this week and we have no idea what to do to make sure baby stays alive. We have a pen but obviously mama and baby can’t be there with dad, so we’ve separated them and made a make shift pen for mama and baby but it’s not perfect. We also have covid so we can’t just go get supplies.

Mama is taking good care of him, he’s nursing really well.

Any suggestions or help would be so so appreciated. Here’s baby 💛

Attachments

• 169D0A97-3302-444E-A84C-CB7F12BEFE04.jpeg
    169D0A97-3302-444E-A84C-CB7F12BEFE04.jpeg
    839.5 KB · Views: 36
Hi! We have two Pygmy goats, had them for 4.5 years. On Christmas Eve, we went out to find a newborn baby. We had absolutely no idea she was pregnant. It’s supposed to be getting cold this week and we have no idea what to do to make sure baby stays alive. We have a pen but obviously mama and baby can’t be there with dad, so we’ve separated them and made a make shift pen for mama and baby but it’s not perfect. We also have covid so we can’t just go get supplies.

Mama is taking good care of him, he’s nursing really well.

Any suggestions or help would be so so appreciated. Here’s baby 💛
How cold is it going to get? If it’s in the 40s it can stay outside with mom, if it gets into the 30s and below put it in your house. All you need is a tub and a pee pad. Or even just some hay to put in the tub.

How cold is it going to get? If it’s in the 40s it can stay outside with mom, if it gets into the 30s and below put it in your house. All you need is a tub and a pee pad. Or even just some hay to put in the tub.
Oh yea, it’s going to be 20. I can bring him and mama into the house and keep them in my laundry room. How long until he would be okay to be outside under 40 degrees?

@JustBabyMargo you have goats right?
Yes, I do, but mine have not been bred yet or anything, so they haven’t had babies.

When my Nigerian Dwarfs were babies, we put coats on them and set up a heat lamp for them to stay under. (One of my goats was a triplet, so she was extra tiny, but I have no experience with newborns because I got mine at about 6 weeks)

Coats-
851E3C89-2544-467D-90BA-81C7D170BA19.jpeg

Picture of them under the heat lamp (this is from when they were older)-
CDAC1E3A-1EE9-495D-8B69-AFABA447511D.jpeg

Yes, I do, but mine have not been bred yet or anything, so they haven’t had babies.

When my Nigerian Dwarfs were babies, we put coats on them and set up a heat lamp for them to stay under. (One of my goats was a triplet, so she was extra tiny, but I have no experience with newborns because I got mine at about 6 weeks)

Coats-
View attachment 2940570

Picture of them under the heat lamp (this is from when they were older)-
View attachment 2940571
That little coat is adorable! I thought about a heat lamp but I was worried it wouldn’t be warm enough. She sure shocked us having this little guy and of course it would be mid winter!

Back
Top Bottom