Newborn baby goat- need help!

That little coat is adorable! I thought about a heat lamp but I was worried it wouldn’t be warm enough. She sure shocked us having this little guy and of course it would be mid winter!
Thank you! It worked for my tiny baby for awhile- until she grew out of them. Yeah, it seems like quite the surprise! I would listen to the advice that the others gave as well. Hope everything goes well!

Hi! We have two Pygmy goats, had them for 4.5 years. On Christmas Eve, we went out to find a newborn baby. We had absolutely no idea she was pregnant. It’s supposed to be getting cold this week and we have no idea what to do to make sure baby stays alive. We have a pen but obviously mama and baby can’t be there with dad, so we’ve separated them and made a make shift pen for mama and baby but it’s not perfect. We also have covid so we can’t just go get supplies.

Mama is taking good care of him, he’s nursing really well.

Any suggestions or help would be so so appreciated. Here’s baby 💛
Bottle feeding goats is really fun! I hope he grows healthy!

Bottle feeding goats is really fun! I hope he grows healthy!
It is until you’ve got a lot of babies to feed. You’ve got sucking on you finder, one sucking on you’re hair, 3-4 trying to eat your pants and 2-3 thinking they need to eat off the bottle at the same time!🤣🤣🤣🤣 Right now we’ve got around 20 babies and more one the way!

Yes, I do, but mine have not been bred yet or anything, so they haven’t had babies.

When my Nigerian Dwarfs were babies, we put coats on them and set up a heat lamp for them to stay under. (One of my goats was a triplet, so she was extra tiny, but I have no experience with newborns because I got mine at about 6 weeks)

Coats-
View attachment 2940570

Picture of them under the heat lamp (this is from when they were older)-
View attachment 2940571
Careful with how long the coat stays on, it will make their winter coat fall out.
I have a about ten month old goat and a four year old goat, it gets below zero here and they’ve been fine as long as they have minerals, water and don’t run out of hay, we have a closed up barn with a roof and keep the doors open and a kennel but they prefer to lay in the box with hay in it.
A space heater in an enclosed space will also make their fur fall out, without water they can get frost bitten and you probably know this already but hay creates heat for their bodies.

Careful with how long the coat stays on, it will make their winter coat fall out.
I have a about ten month old goat and a four year old goat, it gets below zero here and they’ve been fine as long as they have minerals, water and don’t run out of hay, we have a closed up barn with a roof and keep the doors open and a kennel but they prefer to lay in the box with hay in it.
A space heater in an enclosed space will also make their fur fall out, without water they can get frost bitten and you probably know this already but hay creates heat for their bodies.
We got them in the early spring time, and their coats only stayed on until they were able to stay without them, so about 10 weeks maybe. Nellie (the bigger goat) didn’t need hers as long as Taffy (the tiny one). Once they outgrew their coats, they stayed with their heat lamp for some time, and then they would only use it at nighttime. It was only for when they were babies. I don’t do that stuff for them now.

We got them in the early spring time, and their coats only stayed on until they were able to stay without them, so about 10 weeks maybe. Nellie (the bigger goat) didn’t need hers as long as Taffy (the tiny one). Once they outgrew their coats, they stayed with their heat lamp for some time, and then they would only use it at nighttime. It was only for when they were babies. I don’t do that stuff for them now.
Well if you’re still like, trying to keep her warm with all that stuff, she looks old enough to be without.
Skittles current size is the one in the snow, I mean they’ll be fine still using heaters and everything it’s just expensive to keep that stuff running.

Attachments

• 3A2AEC55-5C93-49B4-99B8-6DC3CCEF5830.jpeg
    3A2AEC55-5C93-49B4-99B8-6DC3CCEF5830.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 4
  • B189BD52-7D60-4F91-BD99-2C5F5467B890.jpeg
    B189BD52-7D60-4F91-BD99-2C5F5467B890.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 4
  • C5E61992-0FAD-482F-83B3-71F0ACF26896.jpeg
    C5E61992-0FAD-482F-83B3-71F0ACF26896.jpeg
    726 KB · Views: 4
Well if you’re still like, trying to keep her warm with all that stuff, she looks old enough to be without.
Skittles current size is the one in the snow, I mean they’ll be fine still using heaters and everything it’s just expensive to keep that stuff running.
Yeah, it was just our first ever experience having goats, and she was having a terrible time with the change. She was also only this big (compared to Nellie)-
244893CB-32EF-474B-8384-8009A2B02400.jpeg

Taffy now-
707F04E2-07BF-4266-ACDB-2820123B6032.jpeg

Yeah, it was just our first ever experience having goats, and she was having a terrible time with the change. She was also only this big (compared to Nellie)-View attachment 2940846

Taffy now-View attachment 2940850
Wow they are very beautiful goats, both are pretty small, it should be alright to keep her in an enclosed insulated barn with the temperature there, how cold does it generally get? One thing to do is block out all the wind, it’s gotten to -19 here but with the three sided barn and blocking the wind out of the pen they’ve been fine as long they always had access to food and not frozen water.

Wow they are very beautiful goats, both are pretty small, it should be alright to keep her in an enclosed insulated barn with the temperature there, how cold does it generally get? One thing to do is block out all the wind, it’s gotten to -19 here but with the three sided barn and blocking the wind out of the pen they’ve been fine as long they always had access to food and not frozen water.
Thank you! Both are almost a year old now! Those are old pictures from when they were babies- except for the last one. They don’t really have problems with the cold anymore. They are living with two babydoll sheep now too.

Back
Top Bottom