Newly hatched chick with a bad leg. What can I do?

newish-to-this

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2016
Whidbey Island Washington

We are hatching eggs in an incubator. Late Yesterday we had a chick hatch and one of its legs seems to be bad. Chick has it stretched out behind her and is dragging it while it moves around. Can I help it in any way?

You may be able to help the chick with some kind of taping. Really good info on leg problems can be found here ~ https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I would also recommend that you take the chicks of the newspaper as soon as you can. Newspaper/magazines are very slippery for chicks and they can't get a grip which can cause all sorts of leg issues. Shavings with kitchen towel over the top is great for them after they first hatch.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks :fl

Ok everyone. We have tried everything we can think of. And nothing seems to be working. Hoping in time it will get better, but we won't keep it if it won't have a decent life. So sad right now, but that's how these things go.

We are taking them off the news paper as soon as possible. We had cloth in the incubator at first but they seemed to get tangled in the threads to much. Newspaper is over the top of cloth. This chick was just being bullied by the other 16 hatchlings so I was separating it for pictures.

We are hatching eggs in an incubator. Late Yesterday we had a chick hatch and one of its legs seems to be bad. Chick has it stretched out behind her and is dragging it while it moves around. Can I help it in any way?
I've just hatched a little chick that has this same problem, did your chick's leg fix itself?

Back
Top Bottom