newly hatched chick with limp leg

slagoon

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
I just had my first hatch of chicks and the first three cam out perfectly. The fourth pipped and after about 36 hours the membrane he had exposed looked dry so I lightly added some warm water careful not to get it in his beak. He didn't come out after another 12 hours so I decided he would probably die in the egg so I might as well try to help. I carefully eased him out and he had fully absorbed the yolk and there was no dripping or any kind of odd goo so I placed him back in the incubator.

I noticed today that (day 2 out of egg) that he hasn't really gotten up to walk around so I investigated. One of his legs seems limp and his toes are slightly curled. The other side is normally formed. Is this some sort of birth defect? Is it something that will develop and heal or is he destined to a short painful life? I'm pretty sure from what I've read and seen in photos that this is NOT spraddle leg.

Any help is appreciated

It may have brain damage, but riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis. Put the chick on B complex vitamins in the water or PolyVisol without iron 2 drops daily if it survives.

Another related question ...Ok started the vitamin B Complex and put a boot on the curled toes. When we were doing this we checked the tendons in the leg and the whole leg felt the same as the other side BUT the knee doesn't bend. Any ideas? My friend said a chick can gimp around on one leg, but this other leg that doesn't bend kinda prohibits the bird from even using that one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom