Newly hatched ducklingg with underdeveloped beak

xmissyxteex

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2022
Beds, UK
Hey all, me again, we incubated some of our cayuga girls eggs all hatched no problems except for number 5 who seemed to be stuck in internal pip, I read other posts online of when to intervene if that's what I wanted to do (I knew he was alive as the peeps over time were getting more desperate then started to get less, I read their air pocket lasts around 24 hours but it was getting past that time so I couldn't leave him, his mum was also helped to hatch) anyway.. rescue was smooth, all absorbed and more than ready but it seems the reason he couldn't was because his little beak is either underdeveloped on top of slightly over underneath? he's now a full day old and in the brooder with the others, seems healthy and happy/active in-between group naps, he's really so lovely but my question is will he thrive or be able to eat ok and what can I do to make it easier? Best way to give food? I've attached two pictures which hopefully are helpful, it's not massively different but I'm worrying it's enough to cause issues if not now then later? he/she has got this far so if possible I'd love for him to have a good life or is this fixable? Has anyone else had this/similar if so how did you get on? Also has a bald spot? (noticed eye looks baldy in the picture too but it's fine it's where his feathers still had dried egg goo) any advice will be massively appreciated, thank you so much for reading xx

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-14-18-37-47-702~2.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-05-14-18-37-47-702~2.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_2023-05-14-18-38-46-513~3.jpeg
    Screenshot_2023-05-14-18-38-46-513~3.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 8
Update: if possible I will delete this post or if a moderator could so it doesn't take up space, we watched him eat earlier and he was fine just a little bit slower but had his fill I can make sure he has always has enough x

Back
Top Bottom