Duckling with an abnormal beak and underbite

Apr 15, 2021
Hello. I have a hen who decided to hatch a duck but only one made it. A day after he hatched, a good portion of the top of his bill was ripped off. No Idea what happened. Its healed now and is filled in, but now the bill is growing invery strange position. He has an under bite

IMG_20220829_182657.jpg

IMG_20220829_182520.jpg
Is this going to be a problem later in life? Is there anything I can do?

poor little fluffy

The bill will be fine: I have a rescued pekin with a deformed bill from a raccoon attack that took his clutch mate. He survived with the deformed bill.

My boy's bill is far more deformed than your little fluffy's bill. My boy eats everything but needs a deep bowl so that he can plow the food up to the side to eat. When I hand feed him peas, I put them in a tapered plastic cup so that the peas are deep at the bottom, but he can get his head and bill in there. But he's fine eating peas out of a deep bowl with my other ducks.

Should your little fluffy have any difficulty [and I really don't think there will be difficulty] I would disolve the starter crumbles [and later pellets] in warm water to make a very wet ducky soup. Again serve it in a deep bowl.

But your little fluffy needs ducky companions: aside from chickens pecking and injuring ducklings, they don't speak the same language and don't like to swim. Can you get 2 or 3 baby ducklings --from a local duck breeder, mail order from Metzeger, or from Tractor Supply? That way your duckling will have a happy life and should one die for whatever reason, you will not have a lonely duck left on its own.

I can get some more ducklings for him! Thank you so much! ❤
poor little fluffy

The bill will be fine: I have a rescued pekin with a deformed bill from a raccoon attack that took his clutch mate. He survived with the deformed bill.

My boy's bill is far more deformed than your little fluffy's bill. My boy eats everything but needs a deep bowl so that he can plow the food up to the side to eat. When I hand feed him peas, I put them in a tapered plastic cup so that the peas are deep at the bottom, but he can get his head and bill in there. But he's fine eating peas out of a deep bowl with my other ducks.

Should your little fluffy have any difficulty [and I really don't think there will be difficulty] I would disolve the starter crumbles [and later pellets] in warm water to make a very wet ducky soup. Again serve it in a deep bowl.

But your little fluffy needs ducky companions: aside from chickens pecking and injuring ducklings, they don't speak the same language and don't like to swim. Can you get 2 or 3 baby ducklings --from a local duck breeder, mail order from Metzeger, or from Tractor Supply? That way your duckling will have a happy life and should one die for whatever reason, you will not have a lonely duck left on its own.

Back
Top Bottom