Newly hatched rescue duckling not walking and constantly want to sleep

Cherrybeeboo

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2022
My carer uncle found a half hatched duckling today at a clients house, the mother had left with the other babies and left this one the client wanted it gone so my uncle brought it back he helped it out of its shell and had it with him for 5 hours before bringing it to me, the duck seems alert and is able to move its head fine, when i first saw him one of his feet were stuck in on itself and i think a claw might be missing or atleast deformed but its feet are now mostly opened, he can move the legs fine and are relatively strong (they can push against my hand) doesnt seem to have split legs but he isnt standing well and will go back into a sitting or just flop over, he is also constantly seeking my warmth and when i put him down he chirps a lot and tries to shuffle about seemingly panicking but when i pick him up he cuddles into me and starts to close his eyes, i had experience raising chicks so i got my old brooder ready, brought some duckling food and put shallow water there for him but the chicks i raised were not this young and def not ducks so im worried if im missing any thing or messing anything up, sadly finding complete duckling care guides on the internet is not as easy as you would think it took me 20 min to make sure they def eat duckling food as babies
I included a pic of his feet to show what i mean, i want to know if its actual issue or if its because hes a runt and he will grow out of it,
CA8CBA6D-AFFA-4103-A066-B80885BA5287.jpeg

Since this little one hasn't been hatched long it may take the rest of today for it to get it's feet straightened out . They are pretty contorted in the shell before hatch. Do you have heat set up for it? also try giving it a stuffed animal or a sock with something stuffed into it and also a mirror that it can't knock over onto itself. It won't need to eat for at least 24 hrs after hatch as long as it absorbed the yolk sac.

Best thing you can do for this little one since it's a wild duckling is to contact a wildlife rehabbers and turn it over to them so they can be sure it will be released back into the wild when it's old enough.
It's actually against the law to have in our possession a wild bird.

There's usually a reason mother ducks abandon certain ones. Try vitamin therapy. 400i.u vitamin E and a sliver of a B complex tablet, sugar water with egg yolk mixed in might also help.
But it is against the law for you tou even touch if it's a wild duck, contact your local dnr.

Back
Top Bottom