Niacin Help

GMoose

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
Pa
I've got two energetic happy runner ducks they're super entertaining! Last night I went out to put them away with my geese and I noticed they were both sitting down, I didn't think much of it but when I went to let them out this morning, they were both limping! (more like lifting one leg higher than the other.) they also looked low on energy, sitting down and not moving as fast. I'm thinking niacin. I normally feed my geese and ducks Nutrena all-flock with no added niacin and have had no problem. my ducks have lately been sneaking into my chicken coop and filling up off of the chicken food which doesn't have as much niacin as the Nutrena all flock. I'm thinking that that's what caused the deficiency? I'm going to block off the coop from the ducks which will make the ducks fill up off of the nutrena, is that all I need to do? Do I need to supplement too? If so, How? Thank you!

I'd try using liquid B Complex and see if that gets them back to walking normal again. Weakness of the legs is def a sign of niacin def. TSC carries Durvet Liquid B Complex 1 ml each over a tasty treat so you know they are getting full dose.
Not being picked on by the geese and you checked bottom of their feet for bumble?

Not bumble, not being picked on by geese, they all get along great. Will try to get liquid B, thank you very much

Also, not sure what your climate is, but I live in WA state and we've had unusually cold weather - today it's 17 F and when my ducks came out of the coop into the run this morning two of them sat down right away. They're cold! And I noticed that yesterday they all spent more time sleeping. I think they're working a little harder to stay warm.

Back
Top Bottom