Nightly pecking for hours on coop wall 7 week pullet

I have had my new Crested Cream Legbar for only 3 days and she is separated from my other pullets whom are 20 weeks. There are 3. Since she arrived 3 days ago she has pecked her coop excessively for hours mainly the afternoon and all night. I go out and call her name until she stops. Then, she starts again. Is she neurotic? I've never had a Princess "Pecks-A-Lot". Thoughts about the bird, the breed? And finally What to do? I need sleep.

How old is the new bird?
Is she alone and separated for quarantine?
Maybe there are tiny bugs that you can't see?
Earplugs might help you.

7 weeks and 4 days today. She is alone and separated. Her feathers are frayed on her tail. She left McLeansboro, IL in 98 degrees weather and it was the same temp here when she arrived. (Her name is Princess Punnett after Reginald Punnett who invented the breed over 20 years with Mr. Pease his lab asst.)

7 weeks and 4 days today. She is alone and separated. Her feathers are frayed on her tail. She left McLeansboro, IL in 98 degrees weather and it was the same temp here when she arrived. (Her name is Princess Punnett after Reginald Punnett who invented the breed over 20 years with Mr. Pease his lab asst.)
Could the frayed feathers be from bugs?

Could the frayed feathers be from bugs?
Could be from many things.
How was she transported?
If she was frantic in a cage that would do it.
Too bad you didn't get 2, that might have kept her calmer during the trip and now in isolation.

You'll need to check her over real well for mites and/or lice anyway.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Could be from many things.
How was she transported?
If she was frantic in a cage that would do it.
Too bad you didn't get 2, that might have kept her calmer during the trip and now in isolation.

You'll need to check her over real well for mites and/or lice anyway.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008
I'm using the look/see method for integration from a members post this morning. All 20 week pullets have gone by her coop to see and smell..
Thank you. Your post here on lice/mites is perfect 👍👍

Back
Top Bottom