Nilstat/Nystatin dosage for sour crop?

porokelle

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
Sigh, 3rd (or 4th if we count a bumble foot that got better on it's own) sick chicken in 4 weeks.

We have a second girl that's showing signs of impacted/sour crop (more likely bacterial but we'll also treat for fungal) after laying 2 shell less eggs.
Yesterday she was acting lethargic and not eating unless we brought her in and gave her separate foods. She laid 2 shell less eggs in the last 2 days and is being given supplementary calcium. We're waiting to see her poops; she has done normal cecal poops since being brought in.

But now her crop isn't emptying. I have some antibiotics and liquid nilstat, but I don't know the dosage for the nilstat. It says 100,000 I.U. on the box, but what does that translate to for a 3kg (2 year old, Orpington) chicken?

The only food we're giving her at the moment (she is screaming for food for the past few hours, hungry as hell but crop won't empty), is coconut oil and molasses. We're also doing crop massages.

Thank you

Last edited:
You’re welcome, I hope that is works. I would give her some watery food, egg and watery chicken feed for nourishment. Then check her crop in the morning. It can be normal for the crop to slow during an egg laying problem with soft eggs. Calcium citrate with D3 600 mg a day may work the quickest.

You’re welcome, I hope that is works. I would give her some watery food, egg and watery chicken feed for nourishment. Then check her crop in the morning. It can be normal for the crop to slow during an egg laying problem with soft eggs. Calcium citrate with D3 600 mg a day may work the quickest.
Thanks again.
She had a lot of egg, peas, corn with about 500mg of calcium citrate mixed in yesterday, but it didn't empty the crop over night. We're massaging today, coconut oil and molasses in the morning, and waiting for another poop before we start the nilstat and any more food, as her last 'good' poop was almost white.

Any idea if soft egg laying can be related to going broody? I've got two others that have been going into the nesting box multiple times a day but no laying (and a third that's been sick for three weeks so no eggs). They're big blue orpingtons and tend to go broody as our days get longer and hotter.

I'm also a bit worried about the inactive ingredients. I don't remember if we've given this to the other girls or if I had it as a 'we'll need it eventually' first aid item.

"NILSTAT Oral Drops also contain
the following inactive ingredients:
. sodium calcium edetate
. methyl hydroxybenzoate
. propyl hydroxybenzoate
. sucrose
. polysorbate 80
. bentonite
. hydrochloric acid
. sodium hydroxide
. cherry flavour
. purified water"

Nystatin is a very old proven medication. I probably used it 40 years ago in babies in hospitals, so I would not worry about using it in a chicken. I would limited her intake to just a little watery chicken feed and a bit of egg, and lots of water. Peas and unground corn would require grit and more work of her digestive tract. Foods that don’t need grit are what you want to feed in small amounts. And lots of water. Then check the crop each morning to make sure it is emptying.

Back
Top Bottom