Nipple watering

LOVED THE VIDEO!!:) haha!! I am now sold on trying out the nipple water-er and will be adding a cute roof. I am not sure if the ACV would corrode the metal in the nipples?? Does anyone know or have experience with that? I too add some here and there and you brought up a good point of it in your video:) thanks!!
I don't use AVC. I feed fermented feed. It doesn't cause problems in the heat for laying hens (I think) and it has countless health benefits up to and including surpassing the probiotics and small number of trace nutrients in ACV.
not sure if that made sense...i'm watching this thing on Netflix about a guy who time traveled...or something. Like...IRL.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Last edited:
I don't use AVC. I feed fermented feed. It doesn't cause problems in the heat for laying hens (I think) and it has countless health benefits up to and including surpassing the probiotics and small number of trace nutrients in ACV.
not sure if that made sense...i'm watching this thing on Netflix about a guy who time traveled...or something. Like...IRL.

http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/
Yes I just started FF and did one batch with ACV and have always added it to water periodically for my chickens, and always for the dogs and cats, but my chicken waterer is the 3 gallon plastic one and if I switch over to the nipples will it cause them to corrode? I have read not to use FF in metal pans or a metal spoon so it has me leery. Is stainless steel safe? Is that what the nipples are made of? ETA: I just finished reading the article you posted and it was the best one yet, thank you!
bow.gif

Last edited:
not only do i not think ACV would corrode the metal, when i googlize it i find that ACV is a corrosion cleaner! besides, we are talking about a pretty diluted quantity.

thanks for the kind words!

You have to remove all other sources of water or they won't use the nipples.

Once all other sources are gone then they will use the nipples. You need to show one or two chickens how they work, flick the nipples so that water drips and make sure that they see you. Watch for them to use the nipples, and then the other chickens will learn from them.

Good luck! Once you go to a nipple waterer you will never go back to the dirty old dish!

I tried one with a rooster who lets me handle him. I was hoping to change out to bucket nipple waters for my rooster pens since they are the worse about getting dirt in the water. Well, it didn't work. I left it in there for two days with no other source and he wasn't touching it. I was bringing him to it, tapping the nipple etc. He was thirsty but couldn't figure it out. I even put his beak to it (difficult) and he would get some water that way but his eyes were always closed every time I got his head and beak to the nipple! So he couldn't see a dang thing I was doing! Closed his eyes every time. I gave up. It was warm and he was getting thirsty.

I even set up bucket nipple waterers in my grow out pen with my young ones. Well, they did start using it. At least I thought they were. Some were and others, I don't know. All I do know is I spent time with many of the chicks bringing them to the nipples and showing them. I left the buckets in there about a week. It was warm. After a week some of them were starting to look down. I started to worry. I brought out the hanging waterer and they ATTACKED IT! All of them! They all acted like a man dying of thirst in the desert. Obviously the nipple waterers were not quenching their thirst. I think they were just getting by with it. Not sure which direction to go now with all this money I invested in nipples and buckets and the heat of summer approaching.

Yes I just started FF and did one batch with ACV and have always added it to water periodically for my chickens, and always for the dogs and cats, but my chicken waterer is the 3 gallon plastic one and if I switch over to the nipples will it cause them to corrode? I have read not to use FF in metal pans or a metal spoon so it has me leery. Is stainless steel safe? Is that what the nipples are made of?  ETA: I just finished reading the article you posted and it was the best one yet, thank you!:bow

The nipples are stainless. Best to read description and make sure, but I asked my husband who has worked with stainless and he said it wouldn't hurt them.

Just got my horizontal nipples in the mail. I am going to try them on my 5 week old chicks first, they all ready use the vertical nipples so I figure it won't take them long to get used to the horizontal nipples. My older chickens might take a little longer they have never used any type of water nipples.

I put a 5 gallon bucket with 3 nipples in my run yesterday. Half of the girls found it immediately and learned how to use it in like 30 seconds!

I am giving them a day or two with both waterers and then I am pulling the old one out.

YAY!

wee.gif

ChickenPapaCT

My chickens did not figure out their new watering system, but we are only on day 2. The first day, one hen pecked at the red part of the vertical nipple but didn't get any water. I'm not taking away their regular water dish just yet, but had a small success today:

I cut up very small cubes of banana and pressed them onto the nipple. It took a while to get them to stick, but once they did, the hens came over to eat. The banana disappeared without much release of water, but it got the rooster's attention and he came over and started drinking. I saw one other hen take a drink, so I am hopeful that if I remove the water dish and try more banana, they'll be onto it. Just thought I would post this idea for other people with nipple-resistant chickens.

Back
Top Bottom