Nipple watering

I have a question for those of you in the colder states... what do you do with the chicken nipple waterers in the winter? Do you switch back to a heated metal 5-gallon, or is there some way to keep the water flowing in the nipple waterer? Thanks!
I just drop a de-icer in the bucket. For my small drinkers we make a heated box unit with only the nipple sticking out or place the container on a seedling heat mat if it's one of our small drinkers for the bantams. We use the horizontal nipples which are spring loaded so they don't have to hang.

We are new to nipple watering, but what we see is that they don't all try to drink at once. I would think two nipples would be quite sufficient for 10 to 12 hens.

Horizontal nipples in a 55 gallon drum

0.jpg

We are new to nipple watering, but what we see is that they don't all try to drink at once. I would think two nipples would be quite sufficient for 10 to 12 hens. 
I prefer to have at least two watering stations, even if there are only a few birds, so the ones lower on the pecking order have a better chance of getting a drink and not being run off by an alpha.

I prefer to have at least two watering stations, even if there are only a few birds, so the ones lower on the pecking order have a better chance of getting a drink and not being run off by an alpha.

I have two buckets - one in the run and one in the coop. 4 nipples on the one in the run and three on the one in the coop. My chicks have a bad habit of blocking the pop door, so I want options on both sides and backup nipples on each bucket.

My 6 red pullets were using horizontal nipples before I left the coop. Literally started using them within a minute or two.

This is the automatic watering system we have now. My husband is making a different version for the coop itself. The chickens took to it really quickly in the brooder so we just moved it to the run.

Back
Top Bottom