Nipple watering

We took their water bowl out once we put in the nipple system. We also used a laser pointer to get their attention. Once we got their attention, we pointed the laser pointer on the nipples and within minutes, they were all fighting to get the water.

Easy peasy!

wee.gif

We set up our horizontal nipple bucket yesterday evening, and our four hens caught on quite quickly. It is now mid-morning the next day and our sweet "Jimmy" rooster has not been able to figure out how to get water from that bucket. I have shown him over and over, and he watches the hens drink, but it just doesn't connect. It is hot here, and I am concerned about dehydration. Does anyone have a suggestion or had a similar experience?

Lone star lady....ive been taking away all other water sources for about two hours each morning and giving them back when it gets hot here..until I am sure everyone is using it faithfully :)

I have a question for those of you in the colder states... what do you do with the chicken nipple waterers in the winter? Do you switch back to a heated metal 5-gallon, or is there some way to keep the water flowing in the nipple waterer? Thanks!

How high above the ground should I put my water nipples. I would like my chickens to be able to pass under it and reach up for a drink when they want it.

I put mine on the nipples as soon as they arrived. They seemed to enjoy pecking at the nipples so I took away the jar waterer when they were 2 weeks old.

Thanks for the answers to my rooster not drinking. I went back out later, about noon, and he was VERY CLOSELY watching the hens drinking, then finally began to work at pecking the valve and getting some water. He's sweet, but maybe a bit thick between the ears....

Hi, I watched your video and went to the site from which you bought the water nipple piece. My question is, how many chickens are you watering from those two valves? I plan on having 10 chickens to start with but don't know how many nipples you need for that many chickens. Anyone know? Thanks, Vicki

Oops, thought this was gonna post under the post I was just reading. I was looking at the two nipple product that you just connect to any bucket or cooler and wanted to ask the person who posted the link to the randall burky site how they liked their Brite Tap system.

Anyone else feel free to chime in, also how many nipples will I need for 10ish (chicken math as I understand is tricky) hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom