Nipple watering

My chickens did not figure out their new watering system, but we are only on day 2. The first day, one hen pecked at the red part of the vertical nipple but didn't get any water. I'm not taking away their regular water dish just yet, but had a small success today:

I cut up very small cubes of banana and pressed them onto the nipple. It took a while to get them to stick, but once they did, the hens came over to eat. The banana disappeared without much release of water, but it got the rooster's attention and he came over and started drinking. I saw one other hen take a drink, so I am hopeful that if I remove the water dish and try more banana, they'll be onto it. Just thought I would post this idea for other people with nipple-resistant chickens.
I think you're making it too complicated. If you mess with the actuator, make water come out when some are watching, they will come over to investigate because of their curious nature...unless they are scared to death of you.

The banana just mucks up the watering device with sugars and bacteria. This is just my opinion though, so you can take it or leave it if that is what you prefer. :)

X2.

I put my bucket with 3 nipples in their pen and took away the old waterer. I pushed one of the nipples a few times to make some noise and get some water to come out. The girls all watched intently. As soon as I left two of them came over and started pecking. Within 20 minutes they all started hitting it.

I haven't kept a keen eye on it, but all of them are happy and I see them all peck at it occasionally.

Well the young cockerels in the bachelor pen took to it immediately. One of the older flocks is catching on after the banana session. But the third flock is clueless. I have showed them over and over. Once in a while, one will peck at the water drops on the ground, but they refuse to look overhead, even as I stand there tapping.
I wonder if the age of the birds makes a difference? I'm going to keep trying because I really want this system to work.
I'm not particularly worried about bacteria from the banana. There's some oxine in the water, and the whole system will come down and be cleaned in the fall to prevent freezing.
It sure would be nice to take the rest of the summer off from the constant bowl scrubbing.

There are two important issues in teaching the chickens the nipple watering system: (1) make sure the lid to the container is not sealed - there has to be air available for the water to be able to come out of the nipples, and (2) remove any other readily available drinking water supply. If you leave their first watering source, they will continue to use it as they are creatures of habit. Make sure water is coming out of the nipples by gently toggling each nipple with your finger. Some folks think sealing the bucket will ensure cleaner water, thereby creating a vacuum which prevents the nipples from working, but there has to be a small source of air. I simply removed the rubber sealing ring from the lid. Chickens love to gulp water (and food). but the nipple watering system is healthier for them. Although our hens caught on quickly enough, it took three days for the elevator to reach the top for our rooster. He watched the hens with mild interest on day one, on day two with more interest and then trying a little, but on day three he was intently watching and began drinking well. They don't drink a lot from the nipples at any one time, making you think they aren't getting enough, but they come more frequently and drink smaller amounts of clean water. When you consider that virtually all commercial producers use the nipple watering system, and all their chickens do well on it (or they would be bankrupt!), you can take heart that it does work, as long as water does come out of the nipples.

Thanks Lone Star Lady. I'll have to check the lids on mine tomorrow.

I'm also going to remove the other water from the flock that isn't getting it. I did not remove all water sources from the "banana flock" because I was worried about my hen with a severe cross-beak. Cross-beak attempts to use it, but I haven't seen any real success for her yet. The others, though, have definitely caught on.

How toall iof youkkeepyour bbucketsiofwater clean. I hhavea five ggallon watering bucket with four nipples on the bottom of it. I got it from tractor suppl. IIt'sttinted blue for sun UV protection and is in the shade. I put ACV in it as well and
it still gets a gross film floating on top .
What am I doing wrong?

Be sure to rinse the bucket and change the water frequently, like every few days at least.
Keep it covered to keep the water clean, but make sure it's not sealed too tightly. Have to let air in to replace the water that comes out.

Last edited:
How toall iof youkkeepyour bbucketsiofwater clean. I hhavea five ggallon watering bucket with four nipples on the bottom of it. I got it from tractor suppl. IIt'sttinted blue for sun UV protection and is in the shade. I put ACV in it as well and
it still gets a gross film floating on top .
What am I doing wrong?
I have a white 5 gallon bucket in the shade with 4 horizontal nipples on it. I drilled a vent hole in the side of the bucket up at the top so that the lid could be put on securely. Use only straight water in it. We replace it every week or two to freshen it up, but it's always been incredibly clean.

Have a smaller bucket inside the coop. Only difference is that at first I was adding ACV to it. I would get a film or things seemed to grow around the edges. I thought ACV would help prevent this! So, I cleaned it out and tried just plain water. Staying very clean that way, so I am going to stop using ACV. There's people who have opposing views on if it helps or not, if you should discontinue it when it's hot, etc., but for me, I don't like what it did to my water inside my bucket, so I am not going to use it right now. I may try again when the weather cools off.

I have a white 5 gallon bucket in the shade with 4 horizontal nipples on it.  I drilled a vent hole in the side of the bucket up at the top so that the lid could be put on securely.  Use only straight water in it.  We replace it every week or two to freshen it up, but it's always been incredibly clean.

Have a smaller bucket inside the coop.  Only difference is that at first I was adding ACV to it.  I would get a film or things seemed to grow around the edges.  I thought ACV would help prevent this!  So, I cleaned it out and tried just plain water.  Staying very clean that way, so I am going to stop using ACV.  There's people who have opposing views on if it helps or not, if you should discontinue it when it's hot, etc., but for me, I don't like what it did to my water inside my bucket, so I am not going to use it right now.  I may try again when the weather cools off.

That is exactly what is happening to me. Thank you. I will try without the ACV.

Back
Top Bottom