Nipple watering

It can't hurt to try.  Let me know what happens as I'm interested in knowing if that was my main problem or if it was just coincidence that my water started staying clean when I left out the ACV.
it stayed a bit cleaner without the ACV. I got three days out of it. Waterers are the most frustrating thing to deal with. I'm having trouble with everyone. I need to run a hose next summer.

I still have one stubborn flock that hasn't learned how to use the nipple waterer yet. I took away their water dish, showed them how to use the new water repeatedly. After 3 hours in very hot weather without water, I gave in with the dish, because we were about to go away overnight. The chickens were pecking the ground for water droplets when I demonstrated. The only once smart enough to look up at the sound, pecked at my fingers for water. I'm trying again on a cooler day...

I have read that cross-beak chickens can't use the nipple watering system, but don't know it for a fact. Some folks continue to provide the open watering method for them. You do have to make sure the chickens don't get dehydrated in hot weather. I'm putting out cold watermelon in the shade for our chickies. Wal-Mart has smallish round melons for $3, so I cut them in half and refrigerate them. Please be sure any cross-beak chickens have plenty of clean cool water however they can drink it!

I have read that cross-beak chickens can't use the nipple watering system, but don't know it for a fact. Some folks continue to provide the open watering method for them. You do have to make sure the chickens don't get dehydrated in hot weather. I'm putting out cold watermelon in the shade for our chickies. Wal-Mart has smallish round melons for $3, so I cut them in half and refrigerate them. Please be sure any cross-beak chickens have plenty of clean cool water however they can drink it!  
X2
This is a great point Texas lady!

Yes, Crossbeak still has an open water dish in the coop, not to mention extra food dishes around. She is like a pet to us. She's the only hen that flies over the fence everyday to free-range, and we often slip her a cherry, grapes, banana, or scrambled egg. She's managed to survive four years, and still gives off an occasional egg.

Regarding trying to keep water fresh in the heat of summer - MannaPro has a product on the market called "All Natural Water Protector", which states: "Prevents build-up of film, residue and natural contaminants. For all poultry and fowl. Also safe for other livestock waterers." It can be used in both plastic and galvanized containers. The bottle I bought is 16 fl. oz, and the application rate is 7 capfuls per gallon of water. A capful is one teaspoon. It is safe for the birds and works very well. It is available at TSC (Tractor Supply Company) stores, and most farm/ranch and feed stores that carry poultry supplies. *As a side note, I used to use ACV in their water also, but after changing over to the nipple waterers, which have metal parts along with the plastic, I reasoned that the acidity might not be good on the metal parts.

The very low level of acidity shouldn't affect the stainless steel pins at all. If it does, you have either WAAAAYYY too much ACV in the water, or the pins are not stainless.

I took a Homer Bucket from Home Depot, installed four chicken nipples in the bottom of it. I was concerned the chickens wouldn't use it or understand it. Initially, they didn't seem to get it. Somewhere on one of these threads I found the idea of filling the bucket with ice water to cause condensation, giving them the hint. Worked like a charm. In just a couple minutes one of the roosters started hitting it, then the hens followed his lead. Now, they are all happy birds.

Back
Top Bottom