Nipple watering

Let me qualify my remarks with- I am not an engineer but I am a designer so that being said. I think the issue you are having is one of physics the bucket has a curved surface, the threads on the nipples lie in a flat plane so when water is in the bucket, you have two differing forces at play.
What has worked for us is to use cat litter buckets (they are about square with flat sides) we use PVC fittings (1/2 male thread to slip with the male threads going through the bucket) and put a water hose rubber washer on the inside between the above fitting and a female threaded fitting to sandwich the bucket between the fittings- on the outside, we make a cross pipe that we then drill and tap to accept the horizontal or vertical nipples.
We have used this for the past 5 yrs and no issues so far

I've got nipples in a curved sided bucket and they've never leaked nor has the bucket split. It's been in use since last summer and even froze solid a couple times this winter before I got around to putting a heater on it.

Two thoughts come to mind. First, maybe the bucket is too brittle, or maybe you drilled the hole too small. Or perhaps a combination of the two.

Possibly- the OP did not say how old their bucket was= plastic does lose elastomers as they oxidize so a yr may not have had enough time or sun exposure to make a difference yet- but I agree, I bet their bucket was brittle with age.

I've never tried horizontal nipples, so I can't speak to that, but I did have a small bucket that developed cracks all around the (vertical) nipples after using it for a while. It was a cheap bucket that peanut butter or something like that came in. I purchased more substantial buckets at Home Depot and those worked better. My 5 gallon contractor buckets have never leaked or split (so far).

It was a cheap bucket
Plastic goods seem to vary markedly in quality and it isn't always detectable by the price. They sell storage tubs and the like and they get broken in the shop because the plastic is poor quality. I no longer buy the cheap stuff unless I need it for a short time because it will not last at all. I'm not sure how you determine whether something not that cheap is still "no good". All I know is that plastic all looks the same, but it isn't.....

I bought new contractor buckets at ACE hardware store. I think its just poor quality plastic. I need to talk with my husband and see if he wants to try the pvc pipe route or buy some better buckets.

I bought new contractor buckets
They probably aren't the "long-lasting, don't crack and break" type plastic. They get used on a job or a couple of jobs and then thrown out. Anyway, going for a flat-sided bucket, even if it's not great plastic, might solve your issue as suggested.

I bought new contractor buckets at ACE hardware store. I think its just poor quality plastic. I need to talk with my husband and see if he wants to try the pvc pipe route or buy some better buckets.

I've been using a blue 5 gal Lowes bucket for the last year or so, with 8-10 (I forget how many) horizontal nipples in two rows on the sides. No problems with cracks or leaks yet.

HOWEVER....

It is always inside the coop, up on concrete blocks and out of direct sunlight.

Thanks everyone for the input. I think the first thing will be better buckets. I do have the waterers inside the coop away from the sun and up on bricks. Will need to make a trip to the big city to get to a lowes or Home Depot.

Back
Top Bottom