Nite Guard -- anyone using this? or even HEARD of it?

I have seen that for sale as well. I would love to know if it would work as well.......
hmm.png

I have read a few letters and articles about it in Countryside mag and folks say they work wonderfully! Says it even works on keeping deer out of the garden. As the lights are motion sensor controlled, works better than blinking Christmas lights. Supposed to simulate predators eyes when an animal approaches. If they blinked all the time, I'm sure the animals would start to disregard them after awhile.

I have one. Haven't used it yet as my chickies aren't outside yet (4 wks old). The info with it indicates "on at dusk, off at full daylight" so they are not motion sensor activated. This is beneficial in that a predator would see the flashing light from far off vs. being right up on the sensor before seeing the flash.

It is best to have at least 4 of the units so they can face each direction. And you mount at different heights according to what predators you are trying to deter. I could see spending a small fortune on the things! I just bought the one and plan on moving it around every few days just as a part of my predator deterrance plan.

They are smaller than I expected. I expected a box around the size of a car battery, but they are only about 2x3x1".

I use 8 of them and so far so good. Our biggest issues are great horned owls, racoons and coyotes. No losses in the last year, except lambs to coyotes well beyond where I had installed the night guard.

I started using them on the suggestion of another farmer, who has nearly 1,000 laying hens pastured. His biggest problem was owls, so he places his atop a 15' high boom coming off the hoop houses.

He and I both place one on each side of a post, so they point in each and every direction. So, you really need 4 per installation.

Back
Top Bottom