No air cell?

Can you leave them in the carton, instead of laying them flat? It might be more helpful.... I would, until day 14.... that's just me tho...

Hmm yeah, I could definitely do that. Depends on what I see on day 7, another issue is the eggs cartons take up a lot of space and the platform in the incubator is rather long and skinny so I have them all in one long line. Luckily temps are pretty even but it's incredibly crowded in there.

Yeah my cartons get in the way too, I actually trimmed mine down just a bit.... I get fewer eggs in, but I'm not continually incubating or incubating large numbers - at least not yet! LOL
hide.gif

Yeah my cartons get in the way too, I actually trimmed mine down just a bit.... I get fewer eggs in, but I'm not continually incubating or incubating large numbers - at least not yet! LOL
hide.gif

Haha I've got 19 in there, which is far fewer than those I see with 40+
Candler gets here on wednesday, hopefully all will be good with those air cells

The first one I built would hold about 36, but this coolerbator is narrow and I had to trim the nests off one end, so I think the most I can get in there now is about 30..... I've been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on an old cabinet
wink.png

The first one I built would hold about 36, but this coolerbator is narrow and I had to trim the nests off one end, so I think the most I can get in there now is about 30..... I've been keeping my eyes open for a good deal on an old cabinet
wink.png

If I were allowed to have more than 5 chickens, I'd be looking into upgrading too
lol.png

Today is day 4 and the candler arrived, I'll wait and see if I have time to candle later today or tomorrow. If not definitely Friday.
Also removed a bad egg, it was slightly irregular shaped. Luckily I caught it very early and the smell was not too bad. One of the benefits of having to hand turn several times a day I suppose!

Also removed a bad egg, it was slightly irregular shaped. Luckily I caught it very early and the smell was not too bad. One of the benefits of having to hand turn several times a day I suppose!
Eeewww! That has to be an unmistakable odor!
sickbyc.gif

I candled a few eggs last night, about 4 or 5 out of the 19. I didn't see anything encouraging, so I quit after that! I think I'll just have to get live birds in the spring
hmm.png
We have high winds the next few days and the threat of a storm of "historical" proportions, so I expect I'll lose power Saturday night.
tongue.gif
I do have some heat sinks in the coolerbator. I also have some tealights on hand, I might try using them to keep some heat going, if needed.

There's a cabinet incubator on the local CL.... it is absolutely gorgeous! A work of antique art! Its redwood and in "like new" condition.... of course they want $800 for it
ep.gif
. I love antiques, and the fact this thing is near mint, withing driving distance and something I could use - I'm tempted to go get it!
hide.gif

Eeewww! That has to be an unmistakable odor!
sickbyc.gif

I candled a few eggs last night, about 4 or 5 out of the 19. I didn't see anything encouraging, so I quit after that! I think I'll just have to get live birds in the spring
hmm.png
We have high winds the next few days and the threat of a storm of "historical" proportions, so I expect I'll lose power Saturday night.
tongue.gif
I do have some heat sinks in the coolerbator. I also have some tealights on hand, I might try using them to keep some heat going, if needed.

There's a cabinet incubator on the local CL.... it is absolutely gorgeous! A work of antique art! Its redwood and in "like new" condition.... of course they want $800 for it
ep.gif
. I love antiques, and the fact this thing is near mint, withing driving distance and something I could use - I'm tempted to go get it!
hide.gif
Definitely wasn't great
sickbyc.gif
Fingers crossed for the ones you have in there! power outages pretty much suck, we were incredibly lucky to never lose power during hurricane matthew since many people in the area did.
And oooh... how many eggs does the cabinet bator hold? Sounds tempting for sure!

Just candled, looks like only 7/18 are developing. Two blood rings. I'll crack the two blood rings open on day 10, and probably throw out clears on day 14. 7/18 isn't great xD

The cabinet bator sold
hmm.png
. I knew it would, it was just a gorgeous piece of equipment history..... I'm not sure how many it held - a whole bunch! Even Emu eggs!

Well, you're doing better than I am! 7 of 18 is way better than 2 or 3 of 19
thumbsup.gif
I candled everything last night (day 9) and only saw 1 definite live chick and maybe 2 other possible chicks.

I give up. Hatching is for the birds
tongue.png
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom