No eggs... Help!

PSJ

Songster
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Sabine Parish, La
For the past 3 days, not a single one of my 6 hens has laid an egg. They have always laid every day or every other day. The normal routine was 4 eggs one day, 2 the next. The only thing that has changed that I know of is that 4 days ago, I took the Roo out because he was being ugly to several of the hens(pulling out chunks of feathers). I wouldn't think so, but could this be the reason I haven't had a single egg in three days? If not, any ideas??

Last edited:
How old are they? If it's the second winter they're laying, I think most hens slow way down. Especially if you've had some gloomy, dark days lately.

It's also possible that they're a little thrown off without their rooster.

Any change, no matter how small, can cause them to quit laying for a bit. Removing the rooster can certainly cause them to stop laying. Give them some time and they should start back up.

Thanks everyone! I guess it does have something to do with removing the rooster. This is their second winter. But in Louisiana, we don't have much of one. The past couple of days, it's been in the 70's!

Any change, no matter how small, can cause them to quit laying for a bit. Removing the rooster can certainly cause them to stop laying. Give them some time and they should start back up.
X2 Changes like this causes stress and stressed hens don't lay, or don't lay well. I heard ACV (apple cider vinegar) helps with stress, so add a little to their drink water for a few days and see if that helps. The ratio is 4-5 tablespoons to a gallon water.

Ok. I didnt think so, but apparently, they stopped laying because I took him out. They were still laying when he was in there, but stopped when I took him out. I dont want them to be more stressed without him than with him. Geez, this sounds like an abused woman story " He beats me but I can't be without him".. I think thats how they feel about him.
hmm.png

LOL! No, look, by removing the roo you shuffled the flock dynamics and the pecking order and that stressed them. So they stopped laying. Now, if you replace the rooster it will confuse them and the rooster would probably go right back to hurting them, which will stress them...
A good rooster shouldn't beat up hens and hurt them. What exactly was he doing to them? Was he out to hurt them and attack them or was he just a bit rough with the mating?

Back
Top Bottom