No EGGS!!

Ccdance75

Songster
6 Years
Jul 24, 2015
Help! My ladies have stopped laying completely for the past two weeks! I can't find any changes (that I can tell). They have water, food, enough light, no changes in temperature, they are only 3 years old...what can be causing this?

Side note...I've been noticing some more rat activity...can they be responding to those unwanted guests?
In two years, i haven't had to buy eggs at the grocery store and it looks like I'm headed there today.

Thanks for your help!

Help! My ladies have stopped laying completely for the past two weeks! I can't find any changes (that I can tell). They have water, food, enough light, no changes in temperature, they are only 3 years old...what can be causing this?

Side note...I've been noticing some more rat activity...can they be responding to those unwanted guests?
In two years, i haven't had to buy eggs at the grocery store and it looks like I'm headed there today.

Thanks for your help!
Most common cause at that age would be molt. Checking for external parasites is a good idea. Most of us deal with rats my birds don't seem to care... they could be stealing your eggs... and they are KNOWN chicken predators, given the chance! :mad:

To avoid the lull in production during molt... I add in a couple new layers each year. For future reference though... eggs will keep for a REALLY long time, unwashed in the fridge but can even be frozen (not whole) and still used throughout the slow season.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like it can be molting for sure. There's lots of feathers in the coop these days. How long does that process take? We should be getting some new babies this spring!!

Thanks for your help!
It is that time of the year when egg production is going down, so I would take note of how cold it is where you live. Also, the rats could be getting into the coop and eating the eggs. I would take care of the rats quick as they are dangerous and can spread diseases to both you and your chickens.

Thanks for your help!
Also, they are getting to the age where egg production is slowing down, and they could be molting :)

It is that time of the year when egg production is going down, so I would take note of how cold it is where you live. Also, the rats could be getting into the coop and eating the eggs. I would take care of the rats quick as they are dangerous and can spread diseases to both you and your chickens.

Thanks. We've tried to get rid of the rats but they keep coming back. not sure what a long term solution would be. it's actually still summery weather up here so I don't think its that yet.

Thanks. We've tried to get rid of the rats but they keep coming back. not sure what a long term solution would be. it's actually still summery weather up here so I don't think its that yet.
Keep up the fight... continually trapping, and make sure feeders are collected nightly if you don't do so already. They still keep coming for shrapnel but it isn't an open buffet. Only way to truly rid them well is poison but it isn't MY cup of tea. Move your traps around and try different bates. It's a battle worth fighting! I usually catch a couple every few weeks and nothing for about 2 week and the cycle repeats.

Maybe try this one...
https://www.ratrelief.com/does-baking-soda-kill-rats/

Or look up other baking soda ideas bait... it is said that rodents can't pass gas while most other animals can so it is non toxic should the dogs, chickens, and such come in contact or eat it. I'm glad this is back on my radar... in my area, the mixture in an open dish absorbed to much moisture when it was just sugar and soda... I might try 1 part sugar, 1 part corn meal, and 2 parts soda... but I'm definitely gonna make some sort of balls tonight! :smack

Molting can take several months to fully complete... they first lose feathers and then grow them back in. But once that happens... they don't often return to laying until daylight is increasing (to trigger the hormones) and it can vary by individual. If it looks like a feather exploded... is often one indicator of molt... as well as funky looking bald patches and or pin feathers coming in. A higher protein diet than is typical of most "layer" feed can help to support feather growth and recovery, as feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids. Some people don't like their birds not in lay to have the excess calcium that comes in layer and may switch to flock raiser or grower. Since my birds are many ages, I always use a flock raiser with 20% protein and oyster shell on the side for layers. However some people also feed layer and never switch... it's a personal choice.

So many things can effect laying... it's odd for them to all go cold turkey at once even being the same age, to me... makes me think possible egg eater in the flock, or hidden nest, night predator visits. Pictures can help confirm if it is indeed molt or not.

Getting your new gals earlier in the spring next year will help to ensure they are laying by next years molt season. Some breeds are better winter layer than others... surprised you didn't see a lull last year or any molting already... are you providing artificial light?

Back
Top Bottom