No eggs

Dom G

Songster
Jan 24, 2023
Strongsville, OH
Hello all, I haven’t been getting eggs for about 2 months now. Since before it became cold out. I have changed their food to a higher protein mix. They get enough light per day. They all eat/drink and are healthy. I don’t understand what could be wrong. Last fall/winter we had no laying issues. Any help is appreciated!

If they are two years old or going on two, they are taking a normal break in their laying cycle. How old and what breed are they?
2 are about 2 years old. The are both white leghorns. The others are a year or a bit younger. They are a bantam cochin, Ameraucana, frizzle Easter egger, and houdan.

When chickens are around 18 months molt old they stop laying eggs for a little time. If there is not enough protein in the diet and low on light in coop they tend to have a hard time picking up egg laying again.
this molt does not always mean they are losing a noticeable amount of feathers

I had 16 chickens all the same age and when they were about 18 months to 2 years ALL of them stopped for 5 months and started laying when I interfered with better food with HIGH protein and was making sure to get at least 14 hours of light a day

Hope this helps!

When chickens are around 18 months molt old they stop laying eggs for a little time. If there is not enough protein in the diet and low on light in coop they tend to have a hard time picking up egg laying again.
this molt does not always mean they are losing a noticeable amount of feathers

I had 16 chickens all the same age and when they were about 18 months to 2 years ALL of them stopped for 5 months and started laying when I interfered with better food with HIGH protein and was making sure to get at least 14 hours of light a day

Hope this helps!
My chickens get 14 hours of light a day and eat the highest protein level feed I could find at tractor supply. I’m at a loss

Not all breeds follow the norm especially during winter. Because you provide extra light doesn't correlate with there cycle especially when the air is cold. Each breed have there own cycle and can't be compared to breeds known to lay a lot like your leghorns.

Not all breeds follow the norm especially during winter. Because you provide extra light doesn't correlate with there cycle especially when the air is cold. Each breed have there own cycle and can't be compared to breeds known to lay a lot like your leghorns.
Last winter it got into single digits here so I put in a heater. Hung it from the ceiling. Do you think I should put the heater back in?

Last winter it got into single digits here so I put in a heater. Hung it from the ceiling. Do you think I should put the heater back in?
You know your chickens better than I do, so use sensible decisions.

I don't do anything to force my hens to lay in winter. If they take a break that's fine with me. I'm more concerned with there well being. But I do get about 3 to 6 eggs a day in winter.

Back
Top Bottom