No energy and bright green poop!

Yall, come on now. Your chickens have a serious liver infection! By the time they're pooping green, they are very sick and even medicines wont help and might just make them live longer in pain. I'm sorry to say that but its the truth. I know this because I've luckily got friends who are vets. Liver infection is painful and saying you dont have the money or trying some stuff you got at tractor supply without knowing anything about that stuff is cruel imho. Worse, you could be hurting your chicken more, you dont know.

I wish yall could see how sad my friends are when they talk about how people yelling at them that they dont care cause they have to charge money. I'd put some money down no vet is 'laughing you out the door'. Birds cost money, they gonna get sick, save some money before you get them and find a vet and stop thinkin google is going to fix your bird.

Sorry for the rant, but I love my birds and I'd do anything for them and I had to get that right with myself before I got them.
Um, are you aware how old this thread is? The last post was in 2019.

I've lost several chickens over the past ten years when they had green poop. I had a state lab test one and was advised it was due to multi organ failure. Nothing I could do for them once the green poop starts. I've tried to save several through the years but just doesn't happen. Usually at this point they are very thin and the green is bile is what the lab advised. I usually put them down. It saddens me but I feel it is the most humane thing to do. No idea what causes this.

My Polish died today. I had not seen any symptoms. She had the grossest green stuff coming out of her vent and a blob of stuff, matted along with other green stuff. Very shocking. All my girls are eating and laying good. Anybody have a clue?

We have the exact same situation with one of our barred rocks. Her abdomen just seemed to be gently heaving back&forth so at first we thought she might be egg bound. I found her in odd place in yard and she was just super lethargic. I read online some last night and it sounded like she 'undernourished' from not eating lately (unbeknownst to us). My sweet husband got her out of coop last night after dark...she didn't put up a fuss at all. We put her in separate cage in basement after I held her on my lap and fed her. She WAS quite hungry and seems much better now this morning. She is happy on roost in this basement cage so we'll keep her there for awhile longer, along with me prodding her to eat by holding bowl up to her beak. Giving her mashed up boiled egg, some corn, and some chick starter we have around for young ones. She's eating it all, though not much. And drinking. I'm going to try buttermilk, which I just read about. I tried the yogurt but she wasn't too interested (stupid question but ...flavored? plain? does it matter?). Maybe it's my imagination but it seems the heaving of her abdomen has slowed down. And we're watching her poop for improvement. I checked out the URL of chicken poop but there isn't a picture that accurately conveys the LIME GREEN POOP we're seeing -- just as you describe.

We feel so bad b/c we had two hens die from these same symptoms last summer and we just assumed they must have gotten into something since they were always chumming together. If all we had to do was catch it earlier and entice them with special foods -- makes me feel bad and sad. We love our girls -- all 25 of them (and 2 roosters)!

I hope your hen improves and soon.
Did your treatment work?

Well I tried the french toast (Hubby indeed laughed), and my hen pecked at it a bit but not much. I just wrapped up 4 days of superbooster/antibiotic and her poo is not green anymore, but still mostly runny with a bit of mushy normalish poop. She's just getting more and more lethargic and disinterested, I think she is starving herself to death. Is it worth tube feeding at this point, do I summon the courage to put her down, or do I just continue with the palliative care? Either way @casportpony I would be interested in learning more about the tube feeding thing.
Gahh i haate when they get sick, poor guys.
Did she recover?

Ok everyone that gets this green poo problem, i had a hen sitting on eggs and the first poo wasn't green but really stunk! Then 2 days later it was that bright green and she was very sick. I gave her a cc of karo syrup for 3 days and each day i seen her getting better. By the 3rd day i put her back in the coop. Also i gave her a night crawler and some grass with dandiline. Of course i went and got antibiotics that went in water. But gave that to them after the hen was already better. She is doing fine. I had a hen i found in the yard same way next day after my one hen got sick. That hen died before i could do anything. Wish i knew what the cause was. But all chickens are doing good now. Also i limed the chicken yard and house and bleached the waterer. Hope this helps someone.
Thank you!

I've lost several chickens with this similar issue. I've done necropsies on them. Their intestines were packed with grass so no matter if they would eat, the food couldn't get through the system. I have some thatch killer, natural product from Nitron 35, I gave a recent hen with the issue. Figured if it could kill/break up thatch it may help break any blockage. Will see what happens.

I've lost several chickens with this similar issue. I've done necropsies on them. Their intestines were packed with grass so no matter if they would eat, the food couldn't get through the system. I have some thatch killer, natural product from Nitron 35, I gave a recent hen with the issue. Figured if it could kill/break up thatch it may help break any blockage. Will see what happens.
Can’t wait to hear what happens. I like the out of the box thinking.

We have the exact same situation with one of our barred rocks. Her abdomen just seemed to be gently heaving back&forth so at first we thought she might be egg bound. I found her in odd place in yard and she was just super lethargic. I read online some last night and it sounded like she 'undernourished' from not eating lately (unbeknownst to us). My sweet husband got her out of coop last night after dark...she didn't put up a fuss at all. We put her in separate cage in basement after I held her on my lap and fed her. She WAS quite hungry and seems much better now this morning. She is happy on roost in this basement cage so we'll keep her there for awhile longer, along with me prodding her to eat by holding bowl up to her beak. Giving her mashed up boiled egg, some corn, and some chick starter we have around for young ones. She's eating it all, though not much. And drinking. I'm going to try buttermilk, which I just read about. I tried the yogurt but she wasn't too interested (stupid question but ...flavored? plain? does it matter?). Maybe it's my imagination but it seems the heaving of her abdomen has slowed down. And we're watching her poop for improvement. I checked out the URL of chicken poop but there isn't a picture that accurately conveys the LIME GREEN POOP we're seeing -- just as you describe.

We feel so bad b/c we had two hens die from these same symptoms last summer and we just assumed they must have gotten into something since they were always chumming together. If all we had to do was catch it earlier and entice them with special foods -- makes me feel bad and sad. We love our girls -- all 25 of them (and 2 roosters)!

I hope your hen improves and soon.

Back
Top Bottom