No-Fail Pickle recipes (either fridge or canned!)

Raiquee

Songster
12 Years
Jun 15, 2010
Big Bend, WI
Hey guys,

So I made about...oh a dozen or so qt jars of pickles last season. I was so happy and looked at my beautiful jars. Well. THEY SUCK! The first batch I "winged" my own recipe, as they were fridge pickles I wasn't too worried about the acid content. Well, vinegar wise they were perfect, but salt wise. Well, I have a heavy hand.
sickbyc.gif
Second batch, I used the balls book recipe and oh my god. The vinegar had me GAGGING.

Please help me
sad.png
Post your pickle recipes. I wouldn't mind fridge or canned ones, I could do either. I just can't do fermenting as I don't have crocks (Santa must have thought I was bad this year!
hide.gif
) I do like a sour/salty pickle but that recipe was rediculous! No sweet pickles please, no one in the house will eat em
sad.png

Bread and Butter Pickles

4qts sliced cucumbers (40-50)
1/2c pickling salt
2qts sliced onions
1qt vinegar
4c. sugar
1T celery seed
2T mustard seed
1T ground ginger
1t tumeric

Gently stir salt into sliced cucumbers. Cover with ice cubes; let stand 2 to 3 hours or until cucumbers are crisp and cold. Add more ice cubes if it melts.
Drain; add onions.
Mixremaining ingredients; bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes.
Add cucumbers and onions. Bring to a boiling point.
Pack loosely at once in hot jars, adjust lids.
Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes.
Remove and let cool. Makes 8 pints.

Refridgerator Pickles

4c sugar
4c vinegar
1/2c salt
1 1/3t turmeric
1 1/3t celery seed
3 onions sliced
cucumbers

I use a gallon jar for this recipe.
Slice onion into the jar. Slice cucumbers about 1/3 of the way up. Slice onion.
Repeat until jar is filled.
Mix the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl and pour into jar.
Put a lid on it and put in the fridge for 5 days.
Stir once a day.

These are just wonderful. I take them to a party every year and I might be lucky to take a quart home.

O poor you! I have been there & you do have my sympathy; all that hard work down the drain. Go find the Mrs. Wages pickling products; if your local Walmart doesn't have them, there is a website on line for them, just google the Mrs Wages pickling & you will find what you need to make good pickles. I like the sour ones too; but I do the long process of fermenting them in lime for a day first - but I've also used the Mrs. Wages quick dills & they are great & crisp.

This is our favorite dill pickle recipe. We live pretty far out of town so I keep an extra frig in the garage because we only go into town once a month to get groceries. In the summer I fill the bottom of the extra frig with gallon jars of these pickles, also bread and butters. We just opened our last jar of the dills for New Years and they are still crisp. This is a wonderful recipe.

Kosher Refrigerator Pickle

Ingredients
· 1 gallon cucumbers
· 1/3 cup dehydrated minced onion
· 2 teaspoons dehydrated minced garlic or 6 garlic cloves, minced
· 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
· 4 teaspoons dill seed
· 1 1/2 quarts water
· 2 cups cider vinegar
· 1/2 cup canning salt…(I couldn’t find canning salt so I just used plain table salt with no iodine)

Slice cucumbers lengthwise into quarters add to jars.
Boil liquids and seasonings for 5 minutes to dissolve the salt and wake up the flavors, then cool. Pour over pickles and let sit on counter for three days turning them occasionally. Then refrigerate. They will keep for a year.
Please do not try to use the regular grocery store cucumbers, they have wax on them and they will not turn out. You can use grocery store pickling cucumbers, as they are not waxed.

HomemadeKosherPickles001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom