No Free Ranging for my hens! (PIX)

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
The weather was so nice today! I am thinking of enlarging my run area a bit. There is a huge Pine tree over the coop and run area. I thought, it would be hard the hawks to get a good "drop" on the hens with the tree being there. I planned to cover the run with welded stock fencing, 2" X 4" squares.

As I am out taking measurements for the new run, I hear this very loud bird in the Pine tree above me. I look up and there are TWO Hawks! A male and a female. Maybe they are thinking of putting a nest in my Pine tree?!!

I went in to get my camera, and the female had gone to the neighbor's trees. But the male was still there. Here is a photo, can you see him?

32411HawkinTreeemail.jpg

I am thinking now I better put some chicken wire or something over the stock wire. That shouldl keep out the wild birds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hate hawks! they got my chickens last fall even with the netting over the run. We are looking into the cost of putting chain link on top with support poles.

Quote:
What type of netting did you have on the top? I am thinking the stock wire, with a layer of chicken wire, and then maybe some shade cloth ought to keep out hawks.

They might very well be making a nest! It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like a Cooper's. Their nesting season runs from the beginning of April to mid July in Tucson. Hopefully, they're not Red Tailed hawks. Good luck!

Quote:
I've had a Cooper's hawk in my yard every day since I got chickens (>15 months) but they only tried to get them when they were small. One walked around the chicken tractor, trying to get in at the chicks. They don't bother them at all now that they are adults and they routinely capture doves and lizards in the yard while my hens are free-ranging. The chickens barely pay attention to them. I still wouldn't trust them around younger chickens or bantams. The Red Tailed hawk is another matter entirely. We've had a couple run-ins with it. Once one tried repeatedly to capture my chickens--while I was out there waving my arms and yelling at it. It even swooped in less than a few feet from me in an attempt to grab one before I could get them all back into their run--several times! The hawks here have no fear of humans. Tucson might be different than many places though--we have the highest density of Cooper's hawks in their entire distribution, thanks to an inordinate number of doves and pigeons. With so much easy prey available the risks associated with attacking a large standard breed chicken may not make it worthwhile.

This is an idea I have been tossing around:
Finding an old trampoline someone wants to get rid of and remove the fabric part and flip it upside down. Wrap it with... not sure yet, top it partially with corrugated galvanized steel, install perches at various heights and place a small nesting box to get out of heat and direct sun etc. I spotted one in my neighbor's yard and that is how I got the idea. Now to just waltz over and ask if since the thing is shredded, up near the street and clearly unused is it up for grabs
thumbsup.gif

Any thoughts? They are SO welcome!

Quote:
Healingtreeharp,
sounds like a good idea!! There's certainly no harm in asking, all your neighbors can do is say no. We chicken lovers can make a coop out of just about anything. I'm all for recycling. I say 'GO for IT!!'
thumbsup.gif

Rebbitzin,
You'll definitely want to figure a way to cover your hen yard with something stout!! I would think the stock fencing w/ 2" x 4" openings would be strong enough to keep the hawks from getting to your flock. I've also seen folks use cattle panels (16' long), but those openings are larger so chicken wire would be necessary for sure.

DH and a grandson was in the yard one day watching the chickens free range and out of nowhere a red tailed hawk flew right between them and tried to snatch a squirrel as it was running up a tree trunk. The squirrel escaped and DH and the grandson put the chickens back in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom