No idea what I am dealing with

FowlMomma267

Hatching
Aug 24, 2023
I honestly have no idea what I am dealing with.

Pea was stumbling around outside and looked to have been a favorite of the Roo's. So I brought her in hoping that separating would give her time to heal. After 2 weeks she was still keeling over and not gaining weight.

I took to the vet where she had worms and they said a slight fever (106). Gave me Panacur and Baytril. I now know that Baytril is not suggested for fowl.

Shes still limping along and I was told to give her some poultry cell by mouth. I think i might have aspirated her as now this morning she has a rattle in her breathing.

I gave her an injection of LA 200 but I'm beginning to wonder if that is not what I need to be using.

For reference she is being feed Flock raiser and feather fixed. Dry crumbles and mash for each. She has Hydro Hen in the water.

I just want Pea to get better. I dont care if she ever lays an egg again. Shes just a favorite of mine and a pet.

Oh, yesterday she actually had what i consider a normal poop. Although only twice a day. It was fluffy and formed compared to runny.

I honestly have no idea what I am dealing with.

Pea was stumbling around outside and looked to have been a favorite of the Roo's. So I brought her in hoping that separating would give her time to heal. After 2 weeks she was still keeling over and not gaining weight.

I took to the vet where she had worms and they said a slight fever (106). Gave me Panacur and Baytril. I now know that Baytril is not suggested for fowl.

Shes still limping along and I was told to give her some poultry cell by mouth. I think i might have aspirated her as now this morning she has a rattle in her breathing.

I gave her an injection of LA 200 but I'm beginning to wonder if that is not what I need to be using.

For reference she is being feed Flock raiser and feather fixed. Dry crumbles and mash for each. She has Hydro Hen in the water.

I just want Pea to get better. I dont care if she ever lays an egg again. Shes just a favorite of mine and a pet.

Oh, yesterday she actually had what i consider a normal poop. Although only twice a day. It was fluffy and formed compared to runny.
I’m so sorry your bird is not well. Can you give us some more info? How old is Pea, what breed is she? Have you felt her all over? How does her abdomen feel? Is she eating and drinking normally? Are her eyes, ears, and nostrils all clear? Hoping she heals 🙏

I’m so sorry your bird is not well. Can you give us some more info? How old is Pea, what breed is she? Have you felt her all over? How does her abdomen feel? Is she eating and drinking normally? Are her eyes, ears, and nostrils all clear? Hoping she heals 🙏
She is about 15 months old. She was eating and drinking until last night. She was only pooping once a day, it was kind of runny, but i could tell it was all crumble. I thought giving her medicate chick starter would help but realized I wasnt helping at all, so went to flock raiser and scrambled eggs with a little minced garlic and parsley, no salt. I dont think she has any breast on her, but she was starting to chow down so I was happy. Gave her some Poultry Cell last night and last of antibiotic pill from vet and she started coughing immediately after. She makes a cough every now and then today. She feels fine all over, I can feel her crop and its soft, but not over full. Her left eye was swollen shut, that is why when i initially started treating her it was for a respiratory infection, but when i took her to vet after i realized she was inside for 2 weeks and they said she didnt have a respiratory issue. They said she has some kind of infection but cant find it, and I've honestly already spent $300+ on the vet without doing more bloodwork or an xray. Not egg bound according to vet, but she hasnt laid an egg since i brought her in, but i assume because she is not getting adequate sunlight.

I dont think her nostrils are clear, but I'm doing the best i can as a single person trying to check her out (my husband just had a triple bypass and i cant let him help at moment) she sounds kind of gurgly and not raspy now that I think about it.

She is an Orpington? Bigger breed than standard, absolutely gorgeous girl and my baby.

Is she still on Baytril? That can treat different bacterial respiratory diseases. I probably would not give the oxytetracycline at the same time. Probiotics might be helpful once the antibiotics are done. Do you have a picture of the swollen eyelid? Is there any eye bubbles or pus/gunk inside the eye?

Back
Top Bottom