No idea what's wrong with my EE pullet

marcusy2j

Songster
9 Years
Dec 26, 2012
Hi, I have an EE pullet that is 8 months old and hasn't started laying and the past couple days she's been acting very different just not herself, she's acting very lazy like a sick hen, she does eat and hydrate but at night she will not jump on the roost, she will walk into the nesting box and sleep in there! Her poop is normal nothing different just runny though but she's acting very down, Any thoughts on what I should do or what's wrong, thanks

Lots of things can affect chickens and without lab work it is a guessing game.

I have a thought though. I'm guessing that she's not your only chicken and you are feeding a layer feed,
If she is 8 months, hasn't laid an egg and you've been giving a 4% calcium layer feed for the last 3 or more months, it could be kidney damage or gout.

Could be anything,it is possible she may be showing signs of starting to lay,her going into the nesting box does suggest this to me. If there are no symptoms and she is eating/drinking then i would just wait and see if her body maturing is what the issue is.

Make sure she is eating a properly balanced chicken feed,cut back on the treats,see if this helps with the runny poop.

Oh okay thanks, she's only eaten layer pellets once though and that was about 5 days ago, also could this be spreaded around to the other hens because I have a flock of 4

Oh okay thanks, she's only eaten layer pellets once though and that was about 5 days ago, also could this be spreaded around to the other hens because I have a flock of 4

High calcium problems from layer feed is cumulative. A few days here and there isn't a cause of concern.

Any sign of respiratory problems, wheezing, nasal discharge, weeping eyes, palpitate for a possible stuck egg, anything unusual other than just the sluggishness. Check for lice/mites. Check her keel bone to see if she's extremely thin (worms?).

Back
Top Bottom