No Love

@ oldhenlikesdogs: Oh, dear! I almost flagged your reply. Just found the green thumbs-up symbol on the right side. I better get new glasses. :)

@ jas humbert: Our chickens only eat (overripe) bananas when they don't get grapes or corn on the cob. I only remove half of the banana peel and let the chickens eat the interior like out of a boat. (I made sure that they don't eat the peel because I assume it to be treated with pesticides.)

@ oldhenlikesdogs: Thanks for answering my question. I suppose the thumbs-up symbol is the one that looks like a red flag.
No, it's the one that looks like a thumbs-up...
.......its green and way to the >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>right of the red flag.

Last edited:
@ feather13: I am sorry you had bad experiences with aggressive chickens. We never, ever did. It might be the breed. I don't know breeds too well, but I think that we always had Leghorn when I was a child.

I know, however, that a cleaning lady of ours, who kept chickens and to whom I had given a bantam leghorn rooster (who had escaped from our nasty neighbor's conveyor killing machine into our yard) was pecked awfully bloody on a daily basis by this rooster. (She didn't mind, as she was so proud of this small rooster to protect "his" flock of 30 big chickens from her.)

Hope your li'l dinosaurs will not only stay docile but will come to love you. I am sure that the chickens we had while I was a child loved us. And if we keep feeding corn on the cob and grapes, our present chickens (4 different breeds, none leghorn) will probably love us, too. As Bine says: "Liebe geht durch den Magen." and not only with chickens. :)

You are right about (most) dogs being high maintenance, at least, when kept as dogs should be kept (that is, either being walked regularly and for long times or having a farm or ranch to roam). Unfortunately, our 2 dogs cannot be walked on a regular basis (because we have no time and also because I have health problems). And since they will not stay on our 18-acre property (or even close-by on BLM), no matter what we do (we spent 4 months, several hours a day to train them to stay in the vicinity, but not a chance), they are now confined to a 1,000 sqft dog yard. I consider this a "Hundeleben" (dogs' life), but it can't be helped.

Cats are usually low maintenance; that is, when you only have a few. We, however, have presently 27 indoor-outdoor cats (all fixed rescues), and most of them are old-timers (= 15+ years old), with about 6 of them ailing and requiring medication. So our cats are, meanwhile, also high maintenance. (Our high was 35 cats, and they were relatively little maintenance because, at the time, they were younger.)

Our chickens have, so far, been high maintenance because we needed to get their winter residence as well as their summer residence built, at high cost. (A friend remarked that they better lay golden eggs to have the cost come in. :))

@ aart: Thanks for the correction. Our posts must have crossed. I just stumbled across the thumbs-up symbol myself.

@ oldhenlikesdogs: You see, I didn't exaggerate when I said that I am a computer-idiot.--Is there any way to make corrections when clicking something wrong on BYC?

Posts also don't seem to have an edit-function. There is a preview-function, but sometimes, typos are only spotted later. (I have astigmatic eyes. They are slow in spotting typos.)

@ Naliez: You are so right with "Be careful what you wish for, though ...".

A few decades ago, a neighbor of ours had taught her cat to use the human toilet. I don't know how she did it, and I don't know whether or not the cat flushed. Anyway, it was great. No litter box to clean, and no problems.--But then, I heard from someone else doing the same thing. He rewarded his cat with some treat, every time he flushed. The result: The cat flushed the toilet without using it and up to 30 times at night. :-(

@ oldhenlikesdogs:  You see, I didn't exaggerate when I said that I am a computer-idiot.--Is there any way to make corrections when clicking something wrong on BYC?

Posts also don't seem to have an edit-function. There is a preview-function, but sometimes, typos are only spotted later. (I have astigmatic eyes. They are slow in spotting typos.)
on my posts there is a faint pencil icon you can use to edit your posts, you can't delete them though, it's between the flag and the thumbs up. Get out your glasses.

Back
Top Bottom