No no NO!

Arelwood

Songster
Feb 13, 2022
First time chicken keeper. I have 6 chicks in my basement, 5-6 weeks old. They are cute, I love them. But I really wanted a buff and a white chicken, none of which mine are. I am also highly allergic to the pine bedding and these chicks are in my basement. So I am counting down the minutes until it is warm enough/they are old enough to go outside.

BUT, I saw my feed store has Polish chicks again this week. And I kinda want to see if they have any buff chicks. I would be starting over. I really don't have room in my coop for more chickens right now. And that would me 6 MORE weeks of itching, running noses, feeling like I can't breathe. And next week they will have silkies. Tell me No! Slap my hand! Slap my face? Somebody talk some sense into me.

Just as a note, I have to have a permit for chickens. It has a limit. My limit will likely be 4-5....so I am already being sneaky and "breaking the law."

-Do not go in the feed store.
-Avoid this at all costs.
-Have somebody else go for you if you need to buy feed etc.
-Enjoy the birds you already have.
😊
Okay, so here's the sitch. I went last week to buy feed. I was so distracted by the ducklings that I accidently grabbed gamebird feed instead of medicated chick feed. So I need to go back and exchange it anyway. And obviously they put the feed right next to the chicks cause its a TRAP!

I am single and live alone so there is no one else to go!

5-6 weeks is likely ready to go outside. Are they fully feathered at this point? How's the weather/temperature over there?

But for the "no" side of things, best to not push the limits too far with your local laws. One angry neighbor and you are going to have problems.
They aren't quite fully feathered, and some are silkies. Its still getting below freezing at night.

Okay, so here's the sitch. I went last week to buy feed. I was so distracted by the ducklings that I accidently grabbed gamebird feed instead of medicated chick feed. So I need to go back and exchange it anyway. And obviously they put the feed right next to the chicks cause its a TRAP!

I am single and live alone so there is no one else to go!
No.

But for the "no" side of things, best to not push the limits too far with your local laws. One angry neighbor and you are going to have problems.
As to the limit, also not allowed to have roosters. I am betting at least one of my silkies is a rooster. So I will probably have to rehome. That totally leaves space for a new chicken!

Believe me, many of us here on BYC suffer from chicken math! You just have to show some self-control. If you buy more chicks you’ll probably have to sell some of them later to be at your legal limit. This can be difficult when you become attached to these sweet little creatures.😊

Back
Top Bottom