No santa? Would you be mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
this is how it was done in my family. we celebrated christmas, but also winter solstice, hanukkah, santa luccia's day and other cultural traditions as well. my mother used it as a chance to teach us about other cultures, we were a non-religious household, but taught about many religions and cultures. as little kids we believed in santa, and as we got a little older we learned about protecting another's innocence by graduating from the little kids who believed, into the older, more mature kids who helped make magic happen. in a way, inclusion in the magic making group was a rite of passage.

there was no harm done in creating a magical experience for my younger brothers and sisters. there was no betrayal in my father's standing out on the slow covered lawn in the dark, shaking the reindeer bells and going "Ho HO HO!" I clearly remember the day my youngest brother, then perhaps 5, came to me and said, in a whisper with a conspiratorial and knowing look on his face, "I know that's dad out there with the bells, not santa. But don't tell him I know, because I think he likes doing it." it was not a lesson in betrayal at all, but one in consideration for another's feelings and needs.

FWIW, I think teaching kids about Santa is not about lying to them. it's a fairy tale. it's no different than peter rabbit... it's a story, one they don't differientate from reality when they are small, but discover, often on their own, that it is just that... a story, a fairy tale. we've all had fairy tales that we believed into adulthood, sometimes to our great detriment. I think it's a useful skill to have learned that things we once believed to be true and real can turn out to be fairy tales. it's a transition we'll need to make more than once in life.

Quote:
I wonder if it's harder to approach this problem in a classroom when you have a majority of Christians in your class. When I was teaching in California, only half of my students came from homes that followed the Christian faith. Instead of participating in Christmas only activities, we did a celebration of cultures and traditions from around the world. My classroom was a little like the United Nations anyway so we talked about winter time family traditions. We read books on the Winter Solstice, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, Christmas, Inti Raymi, and other celebrations that happen around this time of year. It's not so much celebration as an education on cultures. I've had to be careful not to leave anyone out and had discussions with parents on what they found acceptable. Yes, it was a lot of work and yes, there was a lot of tiptoeing to make sure that everyone felt included and that families didn't become offended. The fact that I had fifth grade students and the fact that we were approaching this as a social studies unit on community and traditions helped significantly. There were some questions that my students asked regarding belief of Santa or whether one religion is right over another. When those questions came up, my response was always the same, "Some people believe this, and I suggest talking to your parents about it."

WickedNerd, I think that you indeed did win in this instance.
clap.gif

I agree. Wickednerd rules

Quote:
I remember as a child when i found out the truth how embarrassed and ashamed I felt because my family 'pulled one over on me' watching me believe the lie and being amused as i did so.

I think a family who would laugh behind a child's back in a cruel way has MUCH bigger issues than lying over Santa...

Quote:
There..there.. **pat pat..**
Santa will see this thread and hes taking down names...
hugs.gif

Redhen believes..
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom