No santa? Would you be mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Uh huh.... and hes checking it twice... cause now SOME of you folks will be scratched off the list..
tongue2.gif

http://www.newseum.org/yesvirginia/

VIRGINIA
, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Quote:
That is so sweet! What a great kid.
love.gif

indeed he is. came onto the planet gentle, sweet and wize. has turned into a fine man with an elfin twinkle in his eye.
smile.png

it's funny, because in a way, he was the one maintaining our dad's fantasy... his fantasy that my brother still believed in santa... not the other way around.

I wonder if my dad would find it sweet, or if he would feel he'd been lied to and betrayed. hmm.

I don't believe the world is better off for having less magic in it.

Quote:
I wonder what makes the difference between your experience and mine, where we figured it out for ourselves and joined the ranks of the elves making magic for our younger siblings. seemed a very natural transition in our family, as I said, one of the rites of passage out of babyhood, with different kids figuring it out at different ages, but each one taking pride and pleasure in being an elf for the younger ones.

this is not to say I had an idylic youth, it was anything but and there was plenty of pain and betrayal to go around. but none of it was around santa, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, peter pan, or the sneeches.

maybe it's the idea of participation in the magic, in the fairy tale, rather than being being laughed at.

for all that my parents were badly broken in many many ways, I don't remember having the sensation of being laughed at and thought a fool.

maybe the problem isn't letting them believe / teaching them about santa, but how parents handle the transition from baby to child to teen...

Last edited:
it does upset me and makes me sad to see people lie, if they only really knew that the situation we are in.
it all started with a lie.

John 8:44

44 YOU are from YOUR father the Devil, and YOU wish to do the desires of YOUR father. That one was a manslayer when he began, and he did not stand fast in the truth, because truth is not in him. When he speaks the lie, he speaks according to his own disposition, because he is a liar and the father of [the lie

King James version

Proverbs :6

16These six [things] doth the LORD hate: yea, seven [are] an abomination unto him:

17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,

there is nothing wrong with giving, as a matter of fact people feel better when they give,
specially our kids who we love the most.

they look on their eyes is priceless when they are so happy cause they got a gift, that look in their eyes is what makes my heart rejoice
not to mention that all of this is achieved by keeping god happy at the same time.

proverbs 6:16 says that God hates seven things not us, he loves us.
he just hates the Lie.

Quote:
Eh... i'd believe in Santa before i believe that stuff..
Just my opinion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom