No santa? Would you be mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone is stating the teacher was correct in her actions....merely stating it shouldn't be blown out of proportion, as it appears to have been. Bad teacher! Big deal....there are worse things done by teachers in this country and you don't see it riding a media storm.
roll.png

Quote:
Given the response in the original story ... I am not so sure. Especially when you consider the phrase about "believing in Santa Claus." From the outside looking in on this, it it starting to sound like Santa has been made into a minor deity here. While He may not have year-round shrines dedicated to him at this point, take a look at some of the displays out there.

Now, if that is how people feel, then let's call it for what it is and accord it the proper respect. I am happy to give proper respect to either a Ganesh statue or a Santa display. But let's not beat around the bush on it. In fact, the story and furor make a lot more sense if viewed from this perspective, *IMO*.

I was told there was a Santa. I remember staying up kind of late in my bed anticipating him for when he would arrive. When I was told by my friends he didn't exist I was in the 4th grade. I was more hurt by them than by my parents lying to me. I always felt that as a parent one of the things you do is become Santa. So I will tell my children there is a Santa. I just won't say it is not me.

mom'sfolly :

I don't think it was the teacher's place to tell the kids there was no Santa. Especially children as young as second grade. I suspect the teacher of having some sort of agenda. Most teachers would defuse, divert or otherwise avoid the question. A teacher who elects to tell the kids there is no Santa while studying the North Pole has other things going on. I would question the motivations of such an action.

Just for a little different view. Most kids don't understand reproduction at second grade level. For the teacher to explain sex to the kids is neither lying, nor is it an age appropriate response for the teacher. Many families have stories (less so now days) about where children come from. It is not a second grade teacher's place to tell the kids that the parent's story is neither complete or truthful. Not quite the same, but it does speak to what is appropriate for a certain age level.

I also don't believe that fostering a belief in something magical is harmful to children, or is lying. When my kid's have asked, I've always answered, often leading with "what/who do you think Santa is?" By the time they ask, they are ready for the answers. Santa is like the Man in the Moon, Frost Fairies, and other myths of childhood. My kids have not felt hurt or betrayed by the finding out that parents are Santa. My older child willingly kept the magic for his younger brother.

My kids have grown up in a diverse environment, and understand that not everyone believes the same things.

x2 Wonderfully put.​

Quote:
Well, I don't enjoy it that much. Knowing he's not real I figured it out in P6 when i saw a email from argos with christmas prez ready to be ordered. What if a 10 year old comes on (and they still believe in him) thats a ruined Christmas
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png

J's Orpingtons :

Quote:
Well, I don't enjoy it that much. Knowing he's not real I figured it out in P6 when i saw a email from argos with christmas prez ready to be ordered. What if a 10 year old comes on (and they still believe in him) thats a ruined Christmas
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png
hmm.png

If that is all Christmas is to a child, then his life won't hold much promise anyway. I think everyone eventually finds out there is no Santa and it doesn't ruin Christmas....still got the presents, still felt the love, still have family close and warm...and life still rolled on.

Managing our lives past disappointment is one of the most valuable coping mechanisms a child can learn. What does it matter if he learns it here or elsewhere? It still must be learned.
roll.png

In all honesty I knew what Christmas was about but I didn't really care unless Santa came. Selfish I know but children are children.

Quote:
Hey all...

After Staff review despite several reports, we've decided to leave this thread up. Children under the age of 13 shouldn't be surfing BYC without an adult present. This topic is appropriate for people ages 13 and older. Parents who surf BYC with their children can choose not to read this thread with their kids.

Thank you for understanding!
smile.png

Quote:
Yeah, its family friendly... But maybe someone young enough to actually believe in Santa shouldn't be on in the first place?
hmm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom