No sign of unzipping

JenWillo

Chirping
Jul 12, 2020
UK
I’m a newbie and very anxious

I know that chick are supposed to hatch 24 hours after pipping. What I don’t know is what counts as a pip?

7pm last night I noticed a crack in the shell. Chick opened it up and stuck her beak out from around 10 am this morning and has been moving plenty but is still in this position.

I’m a newbie and very anxious

I know that chick are supposed to hatch 24 hours after pipping. What I don’t know is what counts as a pip?

7pm last night I noticed a crack in the shell. Chick opened it up and stuck her beak out from around 10 am this morning and has been moving plenty but is still in this position.

Once they pip internally they rest for around 24 hours, getting their systems in order now they are breathing for themselves and not just absorbing oxygen. The next stage is the external pip once they start running out of oxygen in the air cell. This is the stage your baby is at. Again they will rest for around 24 hours as they absorb the yolk and remaining blood from the veins in the membrane of the egg. This is a really important stage so let the chick do what it needs to do. Once the yolk and blood are absorbed the chick will start to rotate and unzip from the egg which can take up to approximately an hour.

As long as the chick can breathe it will be ok. Make sure your vents are all open as the chicks need lots of fresh air at this critical stage.

Hopefully you'll meet your new baby soon but don't rush the process. I know how exciting it is - I bet you'll be glued to the incubator all day! :jumpy It's so hard to wait though.

Back
Top Bottom