No symptoms other than deadly sounding breathing in pullet, gapeworm?

It also could be a chronic heart issue, though I hope that's not the case. If she has an enlarged or defective heart it could be leaking fluid into her lungs. Her breathing would get worse in the cold weather as her heart pumps harder to keep her warm.
I've got one more question if you don't mind! :) I definitely hear a click when she's breathing, but after I carried her outside and set her down she twisted her neck quite a bit and shook her head a few times, first time I've seen this, looking like she's trying to dislodge something, and then swallowed. Her breathing is just terrible and I can hear a sighing sound almost every inhale and exhale. If it's fluid caused by a heart valve defect, would occasional shaking of the head be normal to dislodge stuff? Could it possibly be gapeworm since her progression from lost voice to this bad was only 5 days, maybe I need to hit it harder and faster with something? She's so healthy otherwise, but she's not long for this world with breathing like this. Shoot.
Thank you. 🤗

I've got one more question if you don't mind! :) I definitely hear a click when she's breathing, but after I carried her outside and set her down she twisted her neck quite a bit and shook her head a few times, first time I've seen this, looking like she's trying to dislodge something, and then swallowed. Her breathing is just terrible and I can hear a sighing sound almost every inhale and exhale. If it's fluid caused by a heart valve defect, would occasional shaking of the head be normal to dislodge stuff? Could it possibly be gapeworm since her progression from lost voice to this bad was only 5 days, maybe I need to hit it harder and faster with something? She's so healthy otherwise, but she's not long for this world with breathing like this. Shoot.
Thank you. 🤗
I'm sorry, but it really sounds like a heart problem at this point and I don't think there is anything you can do. I've only had one girl develop a heart issue and the result was ascites (fluid buildup in the abdomen), which I could drain periodically. From what I understand that was due to right ventricle failure, and left ventricle failure would lead to fluid build up around her heart and lungs, which you can't do anything to relieve. The head shaking could really be from anything (or nothing), but I really, really, really doubt it's from fenbendazole-resistant gapeworms. I'd keep her on bed rest and hope for a miraculous rebound, but prepare for the worst.

I'm sorry, but it really sounds like a heart problem at this point and I don't think there is anything you can do. I've only had one girl develop a heart issue and the result was ascites (fluid buildup in the abdomen), which I could drain periodically. From what I understand that was due to right ventricle failure, and left ventricle failure would lead to fluid build up around her heart and lungs, which you can't do anything to relieve. The head shaking could really be from anything (or nothing), but I really, really, really doubt it's from fenbendazole-resistant gapeworms. I'd keep her on bed rest and hope for a miraculous rebound, but prepare for the worst.
Thank you very much! That's exactly the insight I was looking for, even though it's sad. 💗 I did look up the left/right ventricle failure symptoms and it makes sense. She is slightly more stable this evening, and I was able to look all the way to the bend in her throat this evening and no sign of anything blocking the way in there. This is my first experience with this, but it has to come some time. I appreciate you taking the time to help me. 🤗 Thanks again!

RESOLVED:
Hi, guys. I tried to update my thread name at the top to "Resolved," but couldn't seem to find the option to edit it. Just wanted to post that I was able to take "Baby" to a vet, and seem to have gotten an answer. I was both right and wrong. Really good to know that it's nothing communicable and the rest of my flock is safe, but I'll have to put Baby down shortly. Heart, lungs, air sacs all sounded good, nothing felt lodged in the trachea and didn't find any fungal nodules, but it's most likely either tracheal hypoplasia or laryngeal paralysis, meaning the flap that is supposed to be opening to let air into her trachea is being paralyzed or something in there is collapsing and will most likely cease providing her enough air in either an acute event or progressively. Congenital defect, pretty rare, but she's out in the yard looking content being a chicken, and I'll take care of her when she needs it. ❤️

Thanks again for all the info and support!! It really helps knowing you fine knowledgeable folks are here. 🤗🤗

Last edited:
RESOLVED:
Hi, guys. I tried to update my thread name at the top to "Resolved," but couldn't seem to find the option to edit it. Just wanted to post that I was able to take "Baby" to a vet, and seem to have gotten an answer. I was both right and wrong. Really good to know that it's nothing communicable and the rest of my flock is safe, but I'll have to put Baby down shortly. Heart, lungs, air sacs all sounded good, nothing felt lodged in the trachea and didn't find any fungal nodules, but it's most likely either tracheal hypoplasia or laryngeal paralysis, meaning her airway is collapsing somewhere in her trachea and will most likely cease providing her enough air in either an acute event or progressively. Congenital defect, pretty rare, but she's out in the yard looking content being a chicken, and I'll take care of her when she needs it. ❤️

Thanks again for all the info and support!! It really helps knowing you fine knowledgeable folks are here. 🤗🤗
Sorry about your girl, but thank you for taking the time to let us know the diagnosis.

RESOLVED:
Hi, guys. I tried to update my thread name at the top to "Resolved," but couldn't seem to find the option to edit it. Just wanted to post that I was able to take "Baby" to a vet, and seem to have gotten an answer. I was both right and wrong. Really good to know that it's nothing communicable and the rest of my flock is safe, but I'll have to put Baby down shortly. Heart, lungs, air sacs all sounded good, nothing felt lodged in the trachea and didn't find any fungal nodules, but it's most likely either tracheal hypoplasia or laryngeal paralysis, meaning the flap that is supposed to be opening to let air into her trachea is being paralyzed or something in there is collapsing and will most likely cease providing her enough air in either an acute event or progressively. Congenital defect, pretty rare, but she's out in the yard looking content being a chicken, and I'll take care of her when she needs it. ❤️

Thank you so much for sharing this--my girl sounds like she's having the same problem (video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11AdCp6KMSZUwVmy-RvrIXCRsQklAnFnY/view?usp=sharing). I'm worried that she's suffering. Did the vet talk to you about the possibility of putting her down or did they say she could just keep going until she stops? Ours is definitely out there being a chicken, preening and hanging with her sisters and coming for treats, but she also spends a fair bit of time off by herself just making a lot of noise. We really love this little gal and would very much like to keep her around, but not if she's miserable.

Thank you so much for sharing this--my girl sounds like she's having the same problem (video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11AdCp6KMSZUwVmy-RvrIXCRsQklAnFnY/view?usp=sharing). I'm worried that she's suffering. Did the vet talk to you about the possibility of putting her down or did they say she could just keep going until she stops? Ours is definitely out there being a chicken, preening and hanging with her sisters and coming for treats, but she also spends a fair bit of time off by herself just making a lot of noise. We really love this little gal and would very much like to keep her around, but not if she's miserable.
How old is she? Mine only made it to 7 months old with a congenital defect, and yours looks about the same age/size. If she's older though, then it could be a different condition.

This definitely sounds familiar, my girl made slightly different noises but if you've ruled out everything else then perhaps it's the same condition! The day I took her in was the last day she spent out being a chicken, then she couldn't make it on the roost at night and the others were just kind of chasing her around because she was "being weird." The vet definitely offered to put her down (it's a non-treatable fatal condition) but it was so expensive that she encouraged me to just take her home where she'd be comfortable and then do it myself when the time came, since I am able to put birds down. I did so when it became clear she couldn't get enough air to function anymore and I didn't want her to asphyxiate. Saw another bird die that way while trying to treat her and decided never again.

Best wishes to you and your sweet girl! No matter how long she lives, she was clearly very loved and one lucky chicken!

How old is she? Mine only made it to 7 months old with a congenital defect, and yours looks about the same age/size. If she's older though, then it could be a different condition.

This definitely sounds familiar, my girl made slightly different noises but if you've ruled out everything else then perhaps it's the same condition! The day I took her in was the last day she spent out being a chicken, then she couldn't make it on the roost at night and the others were just kind of chasing her around because she was "being weird." The vet definitely offered to put her down (it's a non-treatable fatal condition) but it was so expensive that she encouraged me to just take her home where she'd be comfortable and then do it myself when the time came, since I am able to put birds down. I did so when it became clear she couldn't get enough air to function anymore and I didn't want her to asphyxiate. Saw another bird die that way while trying to treat her and decided never again.

Best wishes to you and your sweet girl! No matter how long she lives, she was clearly very loved and one lucky chicken!
Aw, thank you so much, this is so kind. She's about 10 months old. I *think* I've ruled out everything else but I started trawling the forum here to make sure that I didn't miss anything. It does seem like we'll need to just keep her comfortable and safe and happy for as long as we can and then put her down when the time comes :hit We were so badly hoping this was something we could treat or manage, but it's not looking that way. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom