Noll's Red Meat Makers

Yup you need to call (email worked for me) and you can get the order form and literature in the mail, then place the order by mail (or fax, I mailed). Needed to call to get shipping quote as they did not have a table of pricing in the packet.

Any update on your birds? Just got a new flyer from Noll's they have raised thier prices some on the meat birds. Still cheaper than most other places. Let us know how they are doing.

They are doing very well, the only other loss was the one with the leg issue, I have them in 1 8x10 tractor that needs moved every few days (pooing a lot), I plan on building another in a few weeks to split them up (I figure that space is good for ~30) as they get bigger. Feed consumption hasn't shot up as much recently as from week 2 to week 3 or 4. They are in their 5th week and are small chickens, haven't weighed any, but I think they might be getting big enough for my cheap fish scale. They almost empty a 5 gallon waterer on the warmer days (need another of those soon). They might be playing with the water too though. I will try to get some weighed this weekend!

bummer on the prices! I just asked for current pricing for my next order, I guess I will see soon!

Sorry I am sooooo busy these days! Well I will copy here what I PM'd you:

They are at least a few pounds, sorry I have been too dang busy to get much data on them! I know that my 80 sq ft tractor is too small for them now and i am behind building the second one. I will try to remember to get a new pic, but they are larger, better feathered versions of the 4 week old one I previously posted (they are 6 weeks now). I like them, they are docile, pretty colored, the girls are a more solid red and boys are more colorful, there must be some sex linking going on. The coloring overall is lighter than I though it'd be, which I like since pin feathers should be less of a problem. I had to put one down since i ran over it with the tractor, I am going to be changing to day ranging as soon as I get my second electronet. Less injuries. Also lost one to human error, one to leg problems and 2 to mystery flip, but despite those losses I still have 49 since they shipped me 54 birds. hope this helps! I will have pics of carcasses too after june 8. they have huge thighs.

Here is a pic from this (rainy) morning- a boy in foreground and a girl in the back to the right a bit, for an example of the color differences between the sexes. I ran over another one with the dang tractor, I am done tractoring very soon, I am failing miserably at it.

Update, I got one of the larger males weighed and he was between 5 and 5.5 pounds. I weighed a girl and she was about 4. They are now 8 weeks. So I would say, if you are getting all boys (and they all seem to be of similar size by the way) they would be good to go at 9 weeks for sure. I will probably have some big birds at 11 weeks!

Just a quick note the males I have are getting to be humongous- they are now 10 weeks old, if I had know how they would do, growth-wise, I would have insisted on a processing date of 9 weeks- they would dress 3.5 and over at that point which is just fine by me. The girls would need another week or 2 to catch up though- but I am keeping the few that I got. They are fairly active in morning and evening when it's not so hot, running around doing chicken things, but they are getting so big I do see a lot of plopping down on the ground, and they are obviously uncomfortable on 90 degree days, more so than any of my DP birds.

Would love to know at 10 weeks what humongous is and love a live wight versus dressed weight when going to process.

I appreciate all the threads like this as I can read different peoples personal experience with different birds. I dislike generalizations that are supposed to apply to all. experiences I can read and judge if it is something I would like.

I did CX's and just didn't like them. I know they grow fast but mine were so lazy! and I didn't even give them high protein food as recommended.

I currently have some generic chicks labeled red and black broilers from a 'local' reseller don't know the original stock so I figure they'll to 10 - 14 weeks and then I expect a 4 to 4.5 lb carcass (or I'm hoping). The CX's did spoil me as some o the last I processed had 6 and 6.5 lb carcas which I liked.

Thanks for the updates and keep them coming if you get any new info.

Back
Top Bottom